Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gears and lockers

aggielr

gears and lockers

what is the cheapest place anyone has found for a set of 4.88's and where would be the best place to find a used detroit for a 44?

eBay
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    just weld the rear and get a sleazy or lockright locker for the front....the cheapest combo
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

If you can ever get Randy at Randys ring and pinion to answer his ****ing phone, the yukon japanese gears are cheap I think, 4 wheel whorehouse has genuines that are guaranteed, even if you **** them up installing them right Troy, Fred? The locker I would try to score off of ebay, just make sure you get plenty of pics, and it doesn't look too used.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

thought about gears

One thing to think about gears. I am not sure where i read this, but it was something about guaranteed gears. They were saying that sure some gears are guaranteed and a little cheaper, but do you really want to have them break on you, pull them, send them in or whatever, wait and then reset them? Or maybe a little more expensive gear that won't breeak in the first place so that the warrantee has to be used cna save you time and/or money. I have limited experience with R&P's only a couple when i was pretty clueless on the scout. Anyone have any experience with dif brands etc? Wow -- I owned that scout for like year or so and did so much work -- there could be a thread about it. later
    Seth

aggielr
    i am weldin the rear, i'm talkin locker for front, and i'm gonna need gears for both, i figured for 4.88's i'd have to buy new, i've only seen 1 set on ebay, and it was for a ford 9, but i havn't looked in the last few days

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    man, for the time it's going to take you to find what your looking for on ebay in the way of gears, you could order them from 4wheel whore house and have them in and on the trail by the time you get done screwing with ebay to save $25. Just a thought.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Krawler68
    I paid 540 bucks for a D44 Detroit, a 9" Detroit, and a pair of 5.39's... of course that was from Lee's shop o' Gears, and he certainly gave me a hookup. When i bought my 4.56's and my detroits (10.25 and D60) and 31 spline axles for the EB from Drivetrain Direct... they beat out any other company by almost 20%.

Krawler68
    I have two D60's now One is in ElDorado, just have to go get it, and the other is in my friends warehouse here in Midland. The D60 locker has been sitting in my shop in palestine for almost a year now in anticipation of the iminent Solid axle swap on the powerjoke... mmmm, trailer rig with dual lockers.

Krawler68
    Both are Ford D60's HP RR...one is out of a 94 one ton, and the other is out of a 96 One ton. I got the 94 axle for 650 bucks, and the 96 one for 800 bones. BTW they both have 4.10 gears.
    Last edited by Krawler68; 04-17-2002 at 11:12 AM.

AgDieseler
    Dream D60-> Ford HP with kingpins, GM/Dodge outers, 35 spline all the way

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    The best thing to do is to call all the numbers in the magizine and get quotes from everyone. They all beat each others prices. You just tell them a little less than the lowest bid you got and they WILL beat it. There are a WHOLE lot of places to get gears from so it's easy to make 20 phone calls and save a few hundred dollers. It works great.

This method also works great with tires. How else did I get my 37" Swampers on my truck for less than $180 a piece when they first came out.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Krawler68
    hmmmm... didn't you tell us you had to suck some guy in Austin's **** for that deal? That would seem like a more logical reason for the low price...

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    his name was Jake at Discount.
    He has since been fired
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Krawler68
    ***...fired for taking sexual favors for tire deals huh? Damn hippies.