Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The yota thingy

The yota thingy

Since I'm bored here at work, and don't feel like doing anymore homework, I decided I should finally get around to documenting some of the work I've done on my buggy. I guess I should start with a pic of where everything started.

This was my first buildup, a SAS'ed 92 toyota pickup. This truck had belonged to my dad and was the first truck I ever drove. I bought it from him and began the SAS less than 3 weeks later. When I rolled it at TCC 1, I had had it for about 2 years

So after that, I decided to try to rebuild it. I swapped on a new cab, but then decided I didn't want to return it to the daily driver status, so I started cutting it up, and adding tube with the help of fellow tamor members. this was the result

but electrical gremlins and life kept me from finishing it

one day I saw a buggy come up for sale, so I contacted the owner with the intention of trying to get some parts if he decided to part it out. Well we ended up trading, so he could build a new daily driver 4runner with the remains of my truck. I ended up with this

The drivetrain is all toyota. 22r on propane, 5 speed, dual cases, FJ-80 hi-pinion front diff, with detriot, rear spool, 4.88s, square tube driveshafts, rear radiator, electric fans, jaz seats, 5 point harnesses, etc.

Overall it was in good shape, but needed some finishing touches.

I began by adding my old longfields to replace the stock birfs. I then built a winch mount, and added my old warn M8000. I built a new battery mount (the old battery was just strapped to the frame with a ratchet strap), and replaced the battery with a Exide Orbital deep cycle battery. Then I added a u-bolt flip to the front, and three d-ring mounts for recovery and to mount my tow bar to.

Next came some diff armor for the front, a new heavy duty tie rod with FJ-80 tie rod ends to replace the badly bent stock one, and new steering stops cut from 1 inch plate. I also bent the rear links back straight and sleeved them. This was pretty much what I had done up till I took it to TCC 3 this last spring. The buggy pretty much walked everything, including Baby Hueys Crack. Any regrets I may have had about the trade are completely gone.

After TCC I didn't have much time to do anything on the buggy until the very end of the summer. But I guess between work, school, getting engaged, buying a house, moving, being held up at gunpoint, changing jobs and all the other stuff going on, thats to be expected. What wasn't expected was the buggy catching fire only days after I brought it up here and put it in my new garage. One of the electric fans shorted out and caught fire one night, filling our house with this horrible smelling black smoke. Since the buggy is all metal, there wasn't to much damage. I lost both electric fans, the rear SS brakeline, some radiator hoses, and a couple of breather hoses. So 2 weeks before the fall semester started, I went to work on the repairs and began my summer projects

new electric fan

On board air (CO2)

steering wheel disconnect (I really needed this)

switch panel and fuse block

armrest/storage as well as protection from the spinning driveshaft

hydro assist. I put this together for around 100 bucks using all new stuff. The ram was from surplus center. I tapped the box myself. Also, because of space limitations, I have to run a normal style crossover, which leaves the tie rod more vunerable than full hysteer, so I went ahead and sleeved the tie rod with some .120 dom, giving me about a 3/8ths wall thickness. I also used a sky pitman arm so that I can tuck everything up closer to the frame, and hopefully get another 2 or so inches of uptravel. I also have a filter mounted behind the winch that I will later plumb in to give me more fluid capacity, as well as more cooling capability

I also added some lights, as well as a little bling

I also added a removable bar over the top of the engine for protection, as well as some additional A-pillar bars for extra strength. I'll most likely finish out the front with a stinger.

And finally, I repainted the thing

Oh yeah, I also added a set of longfield 30 spline axle shafts

www.toyotasuperaxles.com