Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The CheapJeep

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar

The CheapJeep

Okay here's some pics of my project that I've been working on, it's a 74 CJ-5 stretched a couple inches, Blue Torch Fab full width kit, Rubicon Express YJ Extreme Duty 1.5" SOA springs, Rubicon Express 1" YJ shackles, Custom made rear spring buckets to match the front, d44 from a dodge with 4.56"s and lincoln locked, rear Ford 8.8", powertrax locker, 4.56"s, Pro Comp shocks, and the list continues. Before you see the pics just know that the scaff "lift" is supported by I-beams across the tops, supported with 1 ton hoists at each corner, safety chain, and more, yes in the pics I did remove the front cross support for pics. Hope you enjoy seeing a cheap lift instead of a few thousand dollar one.

The Good's-

New Axles

Old stock axles-

Yes its a 54" d44

The BTF kit welded on and RE springs just hanging, not tightened down. The pics suck cuz the lights are off

Hope ya'll like it, I'm hoping to have it done soon, I just gotta get school work done so I can go home to Conroe and work on it.
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 03-27-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

looking good, where is the shop at?

stinger7401
    looks great! But please, take it from someone who has been down your road, before you do anything else you need to box in the entire frame and make some additional cross member supports. If you have any questions or advice please let me know, had the same thing you have.

....gawd that all looks familiar

Matt Conlee
    while you are at it you may want to move your rear axle back to improve your wheelbase. CJ5s get tippy when there that tall.

Jackasic- the shop is at my house/farm in my hometown of Conroe.
    Stinger7401- Yea I was planning on boxing the rest of it, I actually was checking out your old 5 at the meeting last wednesday, hope you don't mind me stealing ideas. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know what material you used to box in your frame and as well where you placed your crossmembers.
    Matt- I actually stretched it back a couple of inches but the problem you run into is that in order to stretch it further you would need to cut the frame from the rear wheelwell back since it bends and replace it with straight rail. I just don't feel the need since I'll only be running 36"s or 37"s, Irocs or TSLs.
    -If anyone else has any comments or advice it'd be greatly appreciated, I am in need of help on this one. There are so many different setups and ideas to incorporate I can't think of all of them, just as well, if anyone wants to come down to Conroe to help me and use my welder's or any other gear just call or pm me. I really need help.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

stinger7401
    Yes, well you see, I never really made it to the boxing the frame part . I would highly recommend it though if you plan on doing any type of wheeling. Take a look at CJ'S cj5 and see how they extended the frame on it, yes it does involve some fender trimming but running anything larger than a 35" tire does make for some very tippy action on the stock wheelbase.

Vaguely familiar?

And as to stealing ideas, everything on that jeep was patented by me so as I see it you owe me some royalties

-Nick
    Last edited by stinger7401; 09-10-2005 at 04:52 PM.

2" up front. 10" in the rear
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That heap gives me a woody.

Thanks guys, I just got back from Ag Kickoff, it was kicka$$, Aaron Watson was best not to mention some ice cold beverages to help.. Thanks stinger, I do owe you some royalties, maybe some frosty beverages??? I like how CJ's 5 looks, I'd seen pics of it before, it just seems like alot of stretch for not so much tire, but I guess it'd be worth it when it came to crawlin'. I just didn't think it'd make much difference between stock with 35's and stretched with 36's. I have pics of a 5 on my phone of a guy full width with 38's stock length, but I can see where the extra wheelbase would be helpful with that.
    Chadnutz- I hope you're not getting a wood over mine, just wait til it's done...
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

My wood was over CJs. Maybe yours will stroke me the same way in time. My wheelbase is 111" and I run 36s. The setup worked pretty well if you don't count the steering and a flimsy crossmember.

stinger7401
    At full widths and a stock wheelbase the jeep is wider than it is long which equates to a terrible situation in off camber obstacles.

Matt Conlee
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    That heap gives me a woody.
    Thats an impossible feat.

I say stretch it more. You can get about 2" on the front by redrilling the spring perch center pin holes. Do you really need to worry about the place where the frame rail bends, do you need that extra clearance with the lift? You can at least redrill the center pin holes in the rear axle perches to get another 2" or so out of it. Try to make it at least 90". My jeep's about 105", and that has worked great with 33s, 35s, and 36s. The stretch on the back will also help out with driveline angles. 36-37" tires are kinda on the larger size for this group. You will have quite a bit of lift with SOA, that shackle reversal, and those springs, about 9". Nick's was probably around 6", maybe less. Where's that video of Nick in Colorado???????

What's the engine/transmission/transfercase?
    Last edited by eight; 09-13-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Well the problem with stretching the rear where the frame bends is that the rear spring buckets don't have a flat spot to weld onto, I mean you can't weld it into the bend. I'll try to get someone here to come back to Conroe for a day or so to help mount the axles and drill the perch holes like you said, hopefully some free cerveza will entice someone. As for the drivetrain, the motor is the stock 258 rebuilt, new carb, header, exhaust, distributer and wires, stock model 20 t-case, and t-90 3spd. trans.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

You can't make a flat spot?