Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The CheapJeep

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    I have one.
    Would you be willing to part with it for a small fee? Let me know how much, I need it ASAP.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Here's some pics my dad emailed me of my heap and some of the **** being done. I'll have more after Clayton.
    Pass. side floor pan

Layout of the cage/interior stripped.

Carrier u-bolt/spring plate fix
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Went by to see the heap today. The pass side floor looks good and the holes through the floor for the cage are drilled. The rear driveline is set, but the front still needs lots of work. They have another job at the moment so not much progress has been made other than what you've seen. Some of the tubing has been tied into the frame for the cage, but I've yet to see any type of cage or anything being done which surprised me. They're having to order some more chromo tube but I noticed that it wasn't thick wall? I was surprised to see that, I could've sworn that they would've used the thick chromo for a cage but no matter, it's still stronger than DOM or HREW. I still need to call Collins Bros to see if I can snag a pulley. Also they're making some front shock hoops and running S.S. brake lines all the way around so I guess that's good, but there still hasn't really been any progress which is frustrating.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    Went by to see the heap today. The pass side floor looks good and the holes through the floor for the cage are drilled. The rear driveline is set, but the front still needs lots of work. They have another job at the moment so not much progress has been made other than what you've seen. Some of the tubing has been tied into the frame for the cage, but I've yet to see any type of cage or anything being done which surprised me. They're having to order some more chromo tube but I noticed that it wasn't thick wall? I was surprised to see that, I could've sworn that they would've used the thick chromo for a cage but no matter, it's still stronger than DOM or HREW. I still need to call Collins Bros to see if I can snag a pulley. Also they're making some front shock hoops and running S.S. brake lines all the way around so I guess that's good, but there still hasn't really been any progress which is frustrating.
    you can run about 0.095 on the main tubes with Chromo and even 0.065 on the brace tubes depending on the weight of the vehicle. What do you consider thick wall? 0.120?
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    you can run about 0.095 on the main tubes with Chromo and even 0.065 on the brace tubes depending on the weight of the vehicle. What do you consider thick wall? 0.120?
    Exactly, I guess I was misinformed but I always thought that thick wall was over .150, even .20 stuff? I guess I was wrong. Hopefully they'll start making some progress.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

I went by the shop last week to see what was up and found out that they were adding on and cleaning things up around there. Long story short there's a guy that he builds blown alcohal cars for that gave him 3 other projects to work on aside from my Jeep. So I talked to Bill today and he had his whole crew working on the Jeep today, tomorrow, and until it's out of there. I'll stop by tomorrow on my way in to the Dr. and snap some pics and lend a hand. Should have the pile back by hopefully this weekend.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Here's some pics of what we got done today, I went by after my seeing the Dr. and stayed working on it until everyone went home.
    Things Completed
    -Steering shaft
    -Front shock mounts
    -Drag link
    -Front right spring plate/u bolt
    -Rear driveline angle

Still to do-
    -finish cage
    -seats/harnesses install
    -p.s. pulley
    -p.s. pump mount
    -front driveshaft install
    -rear shock mounts
    -gas tank skidplate

Pics

1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

That's gonna be fun to get in and out of. Maybe build some sort of step into the sliders?

I had alot of fun trying to climb in and out to figure out how we wanted the seat brackets to be aligned. I'll probably end up setting the sliders away from the body a bit so I can use those as a step.
    As for the front hoop, when I showed up I saw how they had it and I really didn't like it at first but Darryl was explaining something about clearance issues with the dash bar/window latches/steering column so I'll have to live with it. The seats are going to be leaned back a good way so the steering column's not right in my face, but they talked about maybe shortening it? When we first set the seats in we were going to have to notch the rear fenderwells a bit, but after I realized that the way the seats were angled I would slide out, so we just pushed it back as far as it could go and tilted the seat angle up a bit.
    Darryl, Tony, and Bill also decided to run an X in the rear instead of traditional downtubes like on stock cages. You can see the plates going to the floor in the bed where the X tube will tie in. One thing's for sure, it's going to be a bit different.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Here's another pic of how everything goes through the floor and ties into the frame.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Here's some pics of today's work, the cage is finished except for Darryl Tigging a couple more spots. We cut the front driveshaft down to make it fit, working on a new gas tank skid, and battery box.
    I actually like the way the front hoop looks now with everything set in place, it has a kind of retro Willy's look to it.
    The windshield latches are NOT the same on the CJ-7's as they are on these early model 5's. The latches have to actually swing out rather than having a stud go through a flange on the windshield like 7's. Also I asked Darryl why he hadn't done it like ya'll had talked about and that was one of the reason's as well as cost, strength, and keeping it away from the windshield. Having the hoop as one piece instead of 2 like some people do is alot stronger. I like it, that's all that matters.

Latches-

The other car that some dood is having them rebuilt, it's from 1985? Story is, Bill built it back then, this guy bought it and now they're putting a Rolls Royce motor in it from the other car (Rolls Royce) which they're putting a blown alcohal motor in, and a third door slammer something called an Interceptor? which they're putting a super gas motor in. All while this same guy has 2 blown alcohal rail cars, one in which my dad used to race all the time before he bought it. And you wonder why my Jeep hadn't been worked on?

An old rail car chassis-
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 01-06-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Shaggy
    i dont like the x in the back... it takes away from storage also

Shaggy
    how much tube did they end up using... i hear that stuff is like 6-8$ a foot

Shaggy
    There is an article in Petersen's 4wheel & off-road titled "Pullin' Pipe" in the feb 2006 issue that compares Aluminum, HREW, DOM, Chromoly (thin wall), and Chromoly. Pretty good article

Shaggy
    well if the tire is gonna be mounted there then it will look good and help with weight distribution. I dont like rear tire carriers and i think it would look great on that x