Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast

Thread: The CheapJeep

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    More 383 pics... I'll have it finished on wednesday.

1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Got the 383 finished up and hauled it home to Conroe. I went by Smiley's to pick up some stuff that I needed to get it setup how I want. While I was standing at the counter I turned and noticed a familiar face, Scott. He busted me purchasing not so cheap goodies and reminded me about finding a new name...

My dad's picking up an engine hoist and stand for me tomorrow since I didn't get a chance to. I accidentally bent some of the wire mesh on one of the breather filters. I ended up scrapping the stock quadrajet rebuild idea in favor of a Willy's performance offroad 2bbl 550cfm and performance fuel pump that I've heard good things about. Also picked up an MSD complete HEI kit, Moroso plug wires, and pro comp aluminum valve covers.

Pics. Sorry they're crappy, I didn't have my camera and took them with my phone.

Last edited by CheapJeep; 05-05-2007 at 01:21 AM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

550 cfm will be plenty, but a 2 bbl sure will look funny on that thing.

Yeah I was pretty skeptical about it when I was over there a few weeks ago and talked with a couple guys. They brought up several benefits and good points about better fuel delivery at lower rpm's and throughout the power band compared to quadrajets and other 4bbls that seem to lag. They have an order out for the adapter plate I want which is better quality and should yield a few extra hp. It'll be in sometime next week.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    you still need to let me work over those heads
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Shaggy
    you think the guy could afford a 40$ engine stand... sheash

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    you think the guy could afford a 40$ engine stand... sheash
    What do you think this is? "ExpensiveJeep"?

I'll be interested to see how the 2bbl does. The guys I know running Late Model Stock cars all swear by the high cfm 2bbl. But they're also running high RPMs, which makes me worry about using it in a crawling situation. You may also want to look into putting a PCV valve in the cover with no breathers. The vacuum on the crankcase is supposed to help the rings seal better and give more efficient combustion.
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 05-05-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67
    I'll be interested to see how the 2bbl does. The guys I know running Late Model Stock cars all swear by the high cfm 2bbl. But they're also running high RPMs, which makes me worry about using it in a crawling situation.

i agree. the guys running 2bbl in racing are only doing it because rules say they have too. classes like that are the only reason big 2bbl exist.

what worries me about it is the off-idle response. the butterflies open much faster. if you crack two big barrels open 1/8" it'll flow a lot more than the two small barrels of a 4bbl with the same throttle input.

First off why no Fuel Injection. All this money to not even put TBI on it and make it run 100% better. Maybe I missed that

John don't worry about the throttle respose robby just hammers on it anyways

EDIT: with all that shiny stuff don't you think you should get a polished intake or something
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

73bronco
    should've stuck with the Q-jet. They get awesome mileage as long as you stay out of the secondaries, and when you do get into the secondaries you've got more cfm than you'll ever need

On lunch break so I gotta make this quick.

Creighton- I decided not to go with fuel injection because of costs and all the little odds and ends with sensors, wiring, program, etc... The intake is an Edelbrock performer but I need to clean it up a bit.

Junior brought up a good point while talking with me at TCC after seeing Ed's Beast kickass. He told me about a propane kit but I forget the company. I may go with propane but that's still a long ways off. I'm pretty interested to see how the Willy's carb does as well since I've been hearing alot of good reviews about it. We'll just have to see.
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 05-06-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

two barrel will wind up faster and gives better low end than a four barrel. it won't have the top end of a four that's why the circle guy use them. they aren't turning that ridiculous of an RPM. they give you lots of power out of the corners. some of my studebakers have two barrels and they are better off the line up to about midrange (where secondaries would kick in).....that's why a lot of trucks and boats had two barrels b/c of the low end torque and there is no transition when the secondaries kick in. a two barrel will produce very smooth power delivery.
    a two barrel would work really great on a short stroke engine...like a 302 or 327..it will be interesting to see how it works on a 383
    Last edited by Graystroke; 05-05-2007 at 03:03 PM.

for propane conact Carey at GotPropane.com. His kit is a little pricey but very complete, it even comes with the air cleaner
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    [hank hill] Another satisfied customer. [/hank hill]

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

True Hollywood Stry
    ive got a 2 barrel on my 460 its a motorcraft that is like 550 and i have no complaints. It runs very well off- camber except for going down steep hills.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!