Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Build-Up Thread

dependsif you are realy going pro turing or just modern pimp. PT would be Fiske, HRE, or my fav BBS. Other wise go big with some bilets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-0-... 47737350QQrdZ1

whats up with the carb and disty, why bother

some people are afraid of technology

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    solstice, check this **** out Dave. Screw the Boxter/Miata idea...

http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2...8/preview.html

Very cool indeed! I was thinking that car was a prime candidate for a swap or super charger. It's still almost 10x more than a Miata (that I'm looking at) and 2x more than a used Boxter. Damn new cars!
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    dave, put an LS1 or LS2 in it.....then, if it's not throaty enough, turn it into a cammed 408 and have your neighbors love you...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...FC8F25112E.htm
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

That sounds like a plan Fredo. That GTO auto seems like it would fit the bill. Scotti's rental drivetrain lives on!

I looked through several of those wheel sites. Most of them are too "euroey" for my taste. Here's one that I did like though:

The few that I liked didn't seem to have much in the way of size choices. Speaking of, what is the process for choosing a size. If I'm ordering something that's been done, I may be able to just reference the Chevelle Forum size chart postings. But if I'm going to push the envelope on the size, then they may not be in the reference documentation. I don't really trust myself to do the measurements.

Will someone test fit these things? I guess i need to do all of the suspension work first? I'm really not sure what the best process is. Any done this kind of custom app before? Seems like there are more items to deal with than a 4x4 app. Maybe it's just because I know less about the application.

So how is this for an order:

Suspension
    Tires/Wheels
    Body
    Interior
    Engine/Trans

At what point do I need to be concerned about the rearend? What am I not thinking about?

'71 Chevelle
    Twin turbo all aluminum 347" LS1

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119099

This is interesting:

"The wheels are only 17x11 for a 315/35/17 drag radial. When I bought the wheels 7 years ago, a 315 drag radial was the largest there was! They fit inside the factory wheel well."

"The rear wheels have need 6 1/8" backspace to fit. I have about 1/4" of clearence per side. It is TIGHT!"
    Last edited by davido; 03-25-2006 at 11:47 PM.

i'll tell you from experience...you need to get everything done...engine, wiring, wheels, before you do paint. You can do interior after paint....but that's about all. Paint needs to be a final step, not a middle of the road step.

What rearend is in yours? if it's a 12 bolt, it will stand up to pretty good flogging, but if it's 10 bolt might I suggest a 9" ford....seems to be working pretty good for me so far.
    Last edited by Fredo; 03-24-2006 at 02:00 AM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

if you wanna go real big or wide with the wheels you have to work around them. so they kinda come first.

also, buy your wheels last as they tend to be a thing that gets dated. After you paint, then get your wheels.

heck if I knew you were looking, Jordon just sold a 383 with an Art Kar trany for 5K out of the black car.

this is pimp and its only at 4k now. no telling what it'll go to though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Linge...48393814QQrdZ1

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    if you wanna go real big or wide with the wheels you have to work around them. so they kinda come first.
    If he is going to run a aftermarket bolt-on front for a stock chassis(a-arms drop spindles) get the front wheels after that is done. You also need to know what front brakes you want also as this can change the wms\wms

if you are going to stay with the stock i rear it doesn't matter now or later you just need to know the width and hieght of the tires you want, how much your willing to modify to fit them and how low you want the car.

dude, you need these dave!

http://customwheel.com/pimpstar.html