Thread: dana44 and gears

Shaggy

dana44 and gears

I am looking for a dana44 with 4.88 gears for the front of my bronco and 4.88 gears for a ford 9...if anyone has any laying around or has any idea where i could find them i would apreciate it. I am looking to have this thing with solid axles and gears before spring break definately...hopefully this semester...thanks

fbronco86
    i have a dana 44 with 4.10 gears in it and its forsale
    its a closed knuckle with drum brakes and its 8 lug it off a 74 f250 highboy.

Shaggy
    i am really looking for something with a little lower gears... and i also want it to be a 5 lug if at all possoble... i have never done this kind of swap and dont know much about it... i just know i want something better than the crap that came under there

I still have my axle for sale. I will sale it for $300 with out the gears that way you can buy the gears you want. Mine is open knuckle, disc brake, 5 lug. I will also give you the stock radius arms from a '79 bronco.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

fbronco86
    I also have a 9inch for sale for $650 3.50 gears and detroit locker it has new bearings and new seals.

is open knuckle or closed knuckle better? what the difference in the 2?

all this talk and easy reply here? im sure one of you boys couuld use the post count -- hell its like a damn chat room today. Ive pretty much decided on a solid axle over a scout or a bike. So if this is a good deal maybe i should grab it while its easy. Thanks.
    Seth

BigRedFord04
    open knuckle is better, to quote a great man "closed knuck fawkin' sucks" -D.K. open knuckle is what is on everything today, where you can see the axle u-joint. closed knuckle you cant see it and is a lot harder to diagnose the problem if you break something.

Hey James - just out of curiousity - what gears do you have for it?? I am thinking either 4:10s or 4:56.

Seth

Shaggy
    Originally posted by Broncocustom
    I still have my axle for sale. I will sale it for $300 with out the gears that way you can buy the gears you want. Mine is open knuckle, disc brake, 5 lug. I will also give you the stock radius arms from a '79 bronco.
    i dont know much about this swap since i have never done it nor participated in doing one... what other parts or whatnot would i need for the conversion... by the way my bronco is an '80... and where would i go about ordering gears?

The gears in mine are 4.56. You could order the gears from alot of places (randy ring and pinion, drivetrain direct, 4 wheel parts, and many more). Look in any four wheel drive mag for ads for gears. Call around and have the companies compete for the best price. I saved alot of money by doing this. Ask Austin how he did his swap since it would be the same as what you are trying to do.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew