Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Blazer Revival 2005!

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    I believe it's around $100 for the tap. If enough people have an interest we could split up the cost and I can use the tap on the lathe at work.

use a tap on a lathe? I want to see that And no you can not use my lockrite but thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    use a tap on a lathe? I want to see that And no you can not use my lockrite but thanks for asking.
    Hi yes, you can infact use a tap in a lathe!

If I weld the front, I think the hydro assist will help out with the turning.

Also, blue torch fab arms are 1.25", however I've never heard of arms breaking, only knuckles.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    use a tap on a lathe? I want to see that
    you can infact use a tap in a lathe!
    how else are you supposed to tap a hole perfectly straight?
    Last edited by agjohn02; 10-12-2005 at 06:02 PM.

I just drill the hole to the right size then tap it with a tap and a crescent wrench.

You know you don't have to use left hand threads. Not much more work to adjust with all rights.

You should make it fine. All you really have to get done is to fix the brake caliper and center pins yes? You still got spare 10 bolt shafts? You should just sell the 60 to me, I'll give 20% more than you paid for it.

yeah, you could polish rig it.

seriously though, the drag link isnt that bad to use right hand on both sides. its a pain if you use it on the tie rod though... that is, if you want to align it.

Hi yes, you can infact use a tap in a lathe!

If I weld the front, I think the hydro assist will help out with the turning.

Also, blue torch fab arms are 1.25", however I've never heard of arms breaking, only knuckles.
    are you sure about that? I would think to use an actual tap to thread something you would have to go super slow, like 25 rpm ?

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    are you sure about that? I would think to use an actual tap to thread something you would have to go super slow, like 25 rpm ?

if you wanna break a big tap, yes.

drill your tap hole. then turn the lathe off, put it in neutral. put the tap in the tailstock and turn the head by hand. feed with the tailstock until you get it started good. then finish it off with a tap handle using something pointy in the drill chuck to keep the tap centered. bet you didnt know what that little divit in the square end of a tap or the back of a tap handle were for did you?

bada-bing. straight tapped hole.

also you can tap on a mill...

Our kick ass jet mill has a power tap feature, although I've never used it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I've used the mill to tap with a tap by turning the chuck by hand

Our lathe at work can do all kinds of threads with the autofeed. I'm pretty sure 7/8 18tpi RH was on the list, not sure if it'll do internal threads on something with an ID as small as steering linkage.

Frick, I need a new draglink so I might go in on a stick with you. I need about 5 feet. I was planning on just doing weld in bungs but if we get somemore people, I'd offer up some $ for the tap. I might make a new tierod too, but lets not get too crazy.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

you can cut any kind of external thread on a lathe. at least i havent come across any you cant do with the right tool. it just takes practice. ive never cut internal threads on a lathe using the feed and a boring bar, just with a tap. i dont see why it wouldnt work for bigger threads and im sure the inserts are out there to do it.

Why's everyone think they need this dom crap for steering?

You can take measurements and copy my setup if you want.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

sweet thanks david, i'd like to take a look at it...

Oh, by the way mike, we had to change the gears in the lathe the other day to cut metric threads. I think thats the first they've been installed since they were still wrapped in cosmiline (sp?)
    1988 Blazer...RIP

73bronco
    I need new steering so I'm in for sharing the price of a tap and some tube. I found the correct left hand 7/8-18thread tap for $89