Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Wrap Front and Rear

sure is a lot a tractor hiems in the pix on this thread.
    that should to be a sign. my .02 on wrap bars and leafs

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld
    sure is a lot a tractor hiems in the pix on this thread.
    that should to be a sign. my .02 on wrap bars and leafs
    It is. It's a sign of people that care more about getting out and wheeling than building a rig for months or years on end. I've been that route. At the rate I work, it would take me a year and a half to get coils setup. But it would be nice since I would gain a lot of turning radius. What's wrong with tractor heims?
    Last edited by davido; 10-19-2005 at 09:08 AM.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Owned!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by davido
    What's wrong with tractor heims?

in the age of pirate off-roading. nothing at all, they're fancy. in the mindset of a racecar builder, heavy, loose, and gay, like jerry.

hey! Jerry isn't heavy anymore!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    oooohh, the hippie's got some engineer in him. i agree.

and by "use the front of your spring as the lower" you mean the front main leaf, not the whole pack
    it's hereditary
    and yesh, except thinking about it more, you should theoretically break pins first, maybe saving your mains
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    hey! Jerry isn't heavy anymore!

oh, sorry jerry, forgot you lost weight. didnt mean to offend you

Quote Originally Posted by davido
    It is. It's a sign of people that care more about getting out and wheeling than building a rig for months or years on end. I've been that route. At the rate I work, it would take me a year and a half to get coils setup. But it would be nice since I would gain a lot of turning radius. What's wrong with tractor heims?
    I just think by the time you get the wrap bar made, installed, and realize it creates hella antisquat you could have just made a cheap yj bushing four link and gotten way better results. if you want to keep the leafs do a doable shackle deal with a four link seems that would work with little effort. I used to hate leaves but here lately i've seen a bunch of cool setups on desert trucks and I think it would be cool to do a long travel sua rockcrawler.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    cheap yj bushing four link
    SHHHHH Ryan! Don't give the yj bushing secret away! No Frocks man! No Frocks!
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

if you want to keep the leafs do a doable shackle deal with a four link seems that would work with little effort. I used to hate leaves but here lately i've seen a bunch of cool setups on desert trucks and I think it would be cool to do a long travel sua rockcrawler.

like this? DO IT!!!
    yes, four link would be better but i was thinking easy.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02

6) something different- shackles on both ends of the leaf springs with a three link. you might could do a two link, but im not sure how well the springs would locate the axle side-to-side with shackels on both ends. i think this would be cool with a three link and orbit eyes like andy's on both ends of the springs.

I just think by the time you get the wrap bar made, installed, and realize it creates hella antisquat you could have just made a cheap yj bushing four link and gotten way better results.
    Ah Grasshoppa. I think you grosely overestimate my powers.

You're probably right, but I'm scared enough that I assembled my steering myself. In fact, that's already shown problems before when the shaft came loose from the box in Katemcy. So temoprarily loosing steering was scary enough, loosing an axle would be great. I don't think a 4 link is within my skillset. I need a KISS method.

Something else I forgot to ask. Does anyone have any pics of the way Tom Ellison (sp?) at Sunray has his front end setup? I seem to remember them having a cool vertical steel strap thingy. They had several rigs with it in Las Cruces back in the day (probably 5 years ago), but I've never seen it on anything else.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    I was originally gonna post something that you should do something like his...i have seen it in person and it is pretty cool. greg and myself talked to him for a little while about it. this was back when everything was still built there. and the reason he wouldnt do SOA on gregs jeep is cause he couldnt find a way to control front wrap. anyway, he said he put a jack under the front tire and mapped out its path in relation to the frame. below is a quick rendering of his design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

That's it! And it was a giant hinge at the bottom so it could let the axle droop more on one side than the other. I wonder if T-Roy has pics somewhere.

How about rubicon express soa yj springs for the front? If your springs are the same dimensions as toy minitruck fronts it would be an easy swap. Dimensions for the springs are: 45" long, centered center pin, 2.5" wide spring, 3" wide bushing. A little can be ground off the metal sleeve in the bushing to make it a little narrower.

I just think by the time you get the wrap bar made, installed, and realize it creates hella antisquat you could have just made a cheap yj bushing four link and gotten way better results. if you want to keep the leafs do a doable shackle deal with a four link seems that would work with little effort. I used to hate leaves but here lately i've seen a bunch of cool setups on desert trucks and I think it would be cool to do a long travel sua rockcrawler.
    I concede that I never drove my rig without the antiwrap bar, much less wheeled it, so I don't know what the characteristics of my rear leaf sprung suspension would've been. However, I notice very little antisquat, certainly not enough to be considered "hella".

Also, I'd be willing to bet that it'll articulate better than 90% of the link suspensions I've seen.

The front, on the other hand, is another issue. I'm starting to realize that I'm going to need to switch to links up front to get what I want out of my front end. Links solve all of my front suspension issues, pinion angle, steering clearance, and spring wrap. Anyone have any ideas for coils that are reasonably priced, will support my 460, and are about 18" tall?

In short, I know from personal experience that antiwrap bar equipped suspensions can work very well...in the rear.