Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: almost ready

bigFAWKINranger

almost ready

here's the latest problem with the preparation for my solid axle. i need to know the EXACT mounting location of a YJ steering box in relation to the axle tube. i have estimated where i think the box SHOULD go and it appears that my lower radiator hose is right in the damn way. my options as i see now are as follows:
    a> fab a steering box drop bracket
    b> relocate the radiator to the bed
    c> mount the box closer to the axle than normal and shorten the draglink

i think i could do A, but am not crazy about the idea. i can do B if i know where to get like, 30 feet of radiator hose, and i'm not sure if C is even feasable with bumpsteer issues present. advice??? please help, this is pretty much all i lack now.

froader03
    I've seen that radiator-in-the-bed job and although the guy says it works I have serious doubts about the amount of air supplied by a scoop above the cab to what would come through the grill...

just a thought

BigRedFord04
    different radiator? have you looked into how the radiators and hoses go on other such vehicles? XJs? you can always use flex hose to make it fit the engine, and w/o the fan you dont have to worry about that hitting the hose

ill be your pickup man
    the drop bracket seems like it might be kinda weak as well as way n-rigged. Relocating to the bed seem like it would be a pain in the ass. I think I would go with option C if I had a choice between the two
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    yeah...i'm also thinkin' that shorter drag link is the way to go...gotta be just like big brother you know? ... mini me...

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    ... mini me...

or LittleRedFord04

BigRedFord04
    we've already taken care of it...

NigRedFord

bigFAWKINranger
    yeah i came up with NIGREDFORD04... even though after thinkin about it, there's really not anything nigged on my truck with the exception of mine and flem's custom metal fab to make my brush guard fit the 3" body lift.

but none of that helps me with this problem.... i appreciate the input, but does anybody have any NEW ideas aside from the 3 i posted?

if i can't get that steering box in there, i'm stuck with IFS.... ALL i have to do is be able to get the radiator and lower hose OUT OF THE WAY of the gear box....

where the **** is scott schubring???? troy???? jimmy brune???? all you ****ers are good at this kinda ****....

It is hard to tell you what to do on it without a visual. I would not relocate the radiator that is for sure, maybe a different radiator? Like I said, without seeing it, I can't really give any good advice.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    different radiator? have you looked into how the radiators and hoses go on other such vehicles? XJs? you can always use flex hose to make it fit the engine, and w/o the fan you dont have to worry about that hitting the hose
    Originally posted by BMFScout
    ...maybe a different radiator?...

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by BMFScout
    It is hard to tell you what to do on it without a visual. I would not relocate the radiator that is for sure, maybe a different radiator? Like I said, without seeing it, I can't really give any good advice.
    if i spring it under i think i can make it work... i'll just hafta mount the box a little farther toward the cab than i had wanted to.... but i want it sprung over damnit! whats the drawback to relocating the radiator??? wouldn't it cool better if it were away from the hot-ass engine compartment??

aggielr
    u need air to flow through the radiator to keep the coolant cool, moving the radiator 1 or 2 inches would probably be ok, but if you start blockin too much of it, then your askin for heat problems

BigRedFord04
    he's got an electric fan on dat biotch...i dont think between that and the extra 3-4 gallons of coolant in all the long ass hose to the bed he'd have a whole lotta cooling probs, i just think an alternative method might be less work...gotta cater to mine and nix's lazy nature since i'll be helping.

aggielr
    if the headlights and **** are blockin the radiator then them electric fans won't help none, and puttin them in the bed would work w/ electric fans, but damn that would be a lot of work, and if u bust a hose on that, good luck tryin to find another one locally

bigFAWKINranger
    thanx for the info landon, but i already know how my cooling system works. i simply need to figure out how to get my damn radiator out of the way of my future steering box. where the hell WOULD i get all that radiator hose at???
    i mean, whats the harm in moving the radiator to the bed right now, before i even start the SAS, and if i find it to be a crappy mod, just use the stock hoses to put it back in place?
    i am leaning heavily toward the DUAL electric fans on a LARGER than stock bed mounted radiator... any advice??