Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goggles

Goggles

after eating dust the entire weekend at gilmer, I've decided I really need some goggles. I want something that has good visiblity, is scratch proof, and won't be to hot to wear in the summer (somthing that breathes well is a plus). I also need to get a set for my fiancee, but she wears glasses, so thats a factor too. What kind of goggles should work best for me (atv/snowmobile/skiing/?)?

After doing the same in Alto all weekend I've come to the same conclusion. Dust is lame.

we always just wear sunglasses when we ride dirtbikes. At least it keeps the dirt mostly out of your eyes.

Black boogers are worse anyway, figure out a solution to those and you're a genius!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

try red boogers and coughing up red ****. I tried a set of safety glasses once. They really wrapped around my head, but in the end they were not enough. The dust still got in. There were times this weekend where I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me. It was horrible

True Hollywood Stry
    couldnt you just makea windshield, and maybe skin the body out a tad bit more? well that would be my theory cause i hate googles.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    try red boogers and coughing up red ****. I tried a set of safety glasses once. They really wrapped around my head, but in the end they were not enough. The dust still got in. There were times this weekend where I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me. It was horrible
    Yup. Powdery red dust and about 1000 four wheelers make for poor visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    I know what you're talking about. We spent a weekend up at Alto 4-5 years ago during a freaking drought. It sucked big time even with a windshied.

Try moto-cross goggles. They are pretty much meant for that exact application. www.bikebandit.com chadnutz can probably enlighten you on the brands, etc, since he rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    couldnt you just makea windshield, and maybe skin the body out a tad bit more? well that would be my theory cause i hate googles.
    No, I don't want to do that. Even if I had a windshield and body panels I would have still been eating dust. Plus they would limit visibility. The windshield would most likely have to be multiple pieces of lexan, which would get expensive and be easily scratched. And what happens when the windsheild gets covered with dust? I still can't see. Another thing I like is never having a problem seeing in front of me because of the glare from the sun on the windshield. Other than a roof and a hood, I see no reason to add any body panels to the buggy. I've never been a fan of goggles either, but something that I could slip on while running between trails would be nice

I have a pair of those goggles that you usually see the marines in movies wear. They came with a clear replacement lens and a tented replacement lens even though I haven't seemed to be able to scratch the first one yet. Think I got them at a army surplus store or something. I can probably take a picture of them with my phone to show you what they look like. I usually wear them when I have the windshield down and heading to the trail. Once your on the trail and moving slow you don't need them.
    Last edited by TxCruzr; 10-24-2005 at 11:41 AM.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

yeah, I would like to see those. I never thought about checking out army surplus stuff

lab goggles work good on the highway...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

but scratch fairly easily and hurt my face after a while

This is with the tented lens and you can see the back side is foam. Pretty comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

how much did those cost you? I wonder if any of the local surplus stores would have those?

I don't remember, I've had them forever. Don't think it was very much though. They came in a little OD green cardboard box, I'm sure the surplus stores around here have them. I'll try to find the box later and see what they're called, might be able to find them online too.