Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: motor mounts

motor mounts

I bought a set of these a while back when I first started gathering parts for my Jeep's future. There was a 4.3 or SBC included in that until a couple of months ago... Now I'm presumably looking at a bit more torque and about 100 more pounds of weight. I'm not that positive that those motor mounts will be the greatest idea I've had today, even though they are advertised as being able to handle the load.

What have some of you guys that have fabbed your own done, or where have you bought yours? No one seems to make anything specifically for a TJ, so it looks like I'll need to do some kustomizing any way I apporach this.
    Last edited by bburris; 10-27-2005 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    There was a 4.3 or SBC included in that until a couple of months ago... Now I'm presumably looking at a bit more torque and about 100 more pounds of weight.

what weighs 100 lbs more than a sbc and makes a "bit more torque"?

454?

Have you ever looked at stock motor mounts? Those should be fine still. If you're really concerned, call Novak and ask what they think. They'll know best.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

those look like the ones chris has, if so they suck. I would just use stock mounts and either build my own brakets or go some rought like what dave has.

Build your own. YJ spring bushings, 1.5" sch. 80 pipe, round/square/rectangular tube, and plate. Cut. Weld. Done.

I can't really reuse the stock ones since they are in another vehicle and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to give them up. Is that what you guys are suggesting when you say use the stock stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Build your own. YJ spring bushings, 1.5" sch. 80 pipe, round/square/rectangular tube, and plate. Cut. Weld. Done.
    Do em like this. I have the AA ones that are the same style and they suck. It allows the motor to shift to much on that bushing. One minute the bolt is straight up in down and then next it shifts over and is going down at an angle. They'll be gone after christmas though.

heres some ideas http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361977
    Last edited by TxCruzr; 10-27-2005 at 09:54 AM.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    what weighs 100 lbs more than a sbc and makes a "bit more torque"?
    spill it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

That link has a pretty cool mount in it, but I can't figure out if the person I replied to is talking about the Bob Firestine mount everyone is talking about or the bushing style mount. I guess I'm going to AutoZone to have a looksee.

I report back after lunch.

Its a TBI 454 out of the 90 GMC crewcab I sold him. I say fab your own mounts. On pigpen I made my engine crossmember out of 2" 1/4 wall square tube and used 2" 1/4 wall round tube and 1 1/2" ORD polyurethane suspension bushings. It worked out prety damn well. The only "problem" was that I had to drill the stock motor mount brackets out to 9/16" for the bushing's bolt, no biggie though.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

True Hollywood Stry
    its a 454 with what was almost my tbi setup, "chris farley voice on" you BASTARD" voice off. yeha i agree with the rest of them make you own and be done with it.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

OK, so they do suck. Ebay them and make your own. It always seems to come down to that. Sounds like you and Andy have the same sickness.

Oh yeah, be sure to make a template from the block mount end before you get rid of it.
    Last edited by davido; 10-27-2005 at 11:20 AM.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    will a BBC even fit in a TJ? I thought a SBC was fairly tight in one and I think there is more than 100lbs between the two motors.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

All steel SBC ~550 all steel BBC ~750. Just FYI 6.2 ~650...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"