Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr
    Nice art work but whats with the donut at the bottom. I can make out the engine block and the mount but the donut is throwing me off.
    Most of the ones I have seen with that style mount use the bushing end on the block and have the long arm on mount to the frame. If you put a nice scab plate over the frame it should hold up nicely. Granted I've only seen one person rip the block apart at the motor mount so either way should be fine.
    That's the mount that Erik was talking about.

mmmm.....Donut

BDR

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67
    But would that really matter? The force is still transfered to the same bolt locations.
    Yeah, same as on a gm clamshell mount basically. I'm betting that's why the block was designed with 4 bolts there to hold the mount instead of two.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    Yeah, same as on a gm clamshell mount basically. I'm betting that's why the block was designed with 4 bolts there to hold the mount instead of two.
    Ok, it was just a theory. Cool sig line.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    Reason?

Those mounts look really nice. I think that's what I'm going to shoot for.

too big. doesnt make the power it should and you dont need that much anyways. its not a matter of not being cool, just overkill. sbc are tight enough in a jeep. just sounds like its more trouble than its worth. plus, its a jeep.

the mounts eric posted up will work if you plate the frame. they are just cantilevered too much. plus, id put the motor where you want it then build the mounts. looks like they put the frame side in then made the engine side to work. i built the engine side bolted the clamshells in and built the towers off the frame with the engine hanging in the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Wouldnt the easiest choice be to just build a damn crossmember?
    Are you talking about building a crossmember that goes under the motor and craddles it? If so, you will probably run into clearence issues, specially if hes trying to build his jeep as low as he can with big tires.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Shaggy
    i would have to agree... if he keeps it low a crossmember might hit the axle

You guys must have the ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    too big. doesnt make the power it should and you dont need that much anyways. its not a matter of not being cool, just overkill. sbc are tight enough in a jeep. just sounds like its more trouble than its worth. plus, its a jeep.
    In all honesty, any amount of power is going to feel ridiculous to me in that Jeep. I won't have fenders of any sort, and I put a 1" body lift on to help with hood clearance. That way I can drop it down a little more in the spring department and not worry about tire clearance.

The only measurement that I'm concerned with right now is the length. I need to pull the fan off and put some shorter bolts on the water pump pulley and it'll lose about 3-4"... I have a pretty thin electric fan and a 3-row radiator so there's going to be a lot of test fitting, which is why I bought the hoist.

I know I can shoehorn it into the engine compartment, so it really just comes down to the bling factor of having a big block motor in my Jeep. Besides, if we're talking about wasting motors, aren't you the one that put an LT1 in a Scout?

Besides, if we're talking about wasting motors, aren't you the one that put an LT1 in a Scout?

wasting motors huh? i wasnt talking about wasting the motor. you're right though GM really blew it with that tbi pig.

The only measurement that I'm concerned with right now is the length.
    stretch the cowl
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

The only measurement that I'm concerned with right now is the length
    Been getting turned down alot huh...its ok, they make pills for that

In all honesty, any amount of power is going to feel ridiculous to me in that Jeep.
    Understatement of the year. Put a block of wood under the gas pedal. Going from the 1F to the 350 wasn't bad untill the first time I hammered it. Its such a scary rush that you have to do it again and again...hence my small collection of random broken crap. Its worth it though
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

yeah and its fun to make a toyota go sideways on texas past a big frat daddy powerstroke