Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Powdercoating?

ill bet this stuff is on-par with powdercoating. at a price difference of $200 vs $30 for what i want to do and not much quality sacrifice, it makes a difference. for a price difference of $10 and a significant drop in quality, its not worth it.

73bronco
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    how about this stuff. anybody use it before?\

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=249
    I've got a knock off brand of that one my frame. Awesome stuff untill brake fluid gets on it.

I hear POR15 rocks, but only if you do all the surface prep work. The prepping requires two other chemicals that they carry. The good news is you can paint it right over rust if you want. I painted the amp rack in my suburban with it but obviously that wasnt a very hostile application.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

ill be your pickup man
    Texas Custom Coaters has done both of my axles. They turned out pretty good and were reasonably priced. Talk to David
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    ill bet this stuff is on-par with powdercoating. at a price difference of $200 vs $30 for what i want to do and not much quality sacrifice, it makes a difference. for a price difference of $10 and a significant drop in quality, its not worth it.

I'm not sure, but from what I remember POR13 is pretty pricey. I don't think $30 of it will be enough to cover $200 worth of powder coated roll cage area.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

mmkay, im not doing a rollcage

i think POR-15 has a racket running there. they say you have to use about four of their products for any one job. i got it figured out though. im taking a shortcut. yes, dave it'll cost me $50. still should be cost effective. i dont have any experience with this stuff other than the gas tank kit, but you cant see that to tell how good it is. it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

POR-15 is supposedly really strong ****, pretty sure it'd be as strong if not stronger than powdercoat.

whoa there tex, i dunno about that. i hope its true though.

Yeah, depends on the grade of powdercoating Id imagine, but I've heard of people on other forums using it for skidplates and such..and never scratching it, unlike the supposedly high grade powdercoating on my bumper. So who knows? Give it a try and tell us how it works

I don't care what kind of paint or powder coating you have on a skid plate, it's going to scratch.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

So what you're saying is, if I'd had my origional skid plate powdercoated with high quality stuff it wouldn't have worn through? Maybe should get the new one done, it's starting to show wear in some places allready.

I was just saying what I'd heard, I've never used this stuff before, but I'm sure it'll scratch just the same as anything else. I just use rattle cans myself..cheap, and easy to touch up.

And kopecki...never said anything close to that, I'm sure higher grade **** would hold up to more before scratching, but like whats already been said, its gonna scratch.

aggiemudman
    ive used a small pint to paint my 14ff and my battery tray. Battery tray has held up to a leaky battery and looks real good, it fills in the pitted areas well. A little bit of this stuff goes a looong way. They have a silver that is theyre most aggressive coating and then u can just paint over it whatever u want. U have to use the marine clean degreaser/prep whatever u call it before though. Its fairly cheap and goes a long way as well. I have used the gas tank sealer too and it is awesome too. They had this stuff on TRUCKS a while back and stacey painted something and then took it and beat the hell outta it with a hammer and it didnt chip or crack. Supposed to bond to metal really good...try it and see