Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motor Mount suggestions

Motor Mount suggestions

So back in Katemcy, with the help of some great Kopecki engineering, we replaced some blown motor mount bushings with washers to keep my rig wheelable. Well, I stupidly thought they worked well enough to keep them that way for all the little wheeling trips between then & now and my motor has evidently been moving around a bit. I need to find a permanent fix before Clayton, because it has moved over enough that the belt is hitting the (already shimmed & clearanced) PS gear box. Suggestions? Should I weld up some mounts to avoid continuing to blow bushings? Buy new advanced adapter bushings to replace the ones I blew?

Thanks for the help!
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

do the spring bushing liek dave has.

Yes, spring bushings are much like duct tape...they fix everything.

search. didnt we just do this a month ar so ago.

Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

ah, a month and three days

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Not sure those would work in a Toy frame - it's a little more cramped. I can see something similar working out great, I just need to find someone who makes them for this application.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

what do the mounts you use now look like? As for being tight, I don't think you can get much smaller than the ones I have, unless you ditch the bushing all together
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 11-30-2005 at 06:10 PM.

I'll post a pic when I get home.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

the pics I posted in that other thread were on a 2nd gen runner/sbc application
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Ok here are a couple pics of my existing mounts. Brandon really thinks I should cut em off and start over or convert them to more of a cylinder bushing setup as suggested. My issue with this is, these are Advanced Adapter mounts, built for this application. Unless they are just poorly designed/made, why am I having problems? Maybe they are just crap and I just need to replace them, so be it. Of course, maybe they were just loose when I slammed the front end into a hole in katemcy & blew the bushings as the motor moved. Anyway take look and let me know whether you think it's worth replacing the bushings and giving these another try or whether I should just replace them altogether.

Sorry for the poor pic quality, it was DARK.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

The AA mounts are crap. Wish I would have known before I bought them. Take the time to swap them out.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Those are the same mounts I had from Novak that I started the other thread about. I didn't trust them so I sent them back.

so is the upper mount basically causing the bolt to pivot (only word I could think of to really explain it) in the lower mount, therefore crushing the bushings and causing everything to move? Are the bolt holes wallowed out?

Here is an idea I have that would be a little easier then the bushing style mount, though it may not work. If the holes are wallowed out, or are larger than the bolt, drill them out and get a larger diameter bolt. Next, weld a piece of angle iron to the lower mount so that it sticks up, and over where the bolt goes, then drill it out as well and install a bolt long enough to go through, as well as some new bushings (you may want bushings above the mount as well now. If I'm not clear, think of the mount attached to the motor as a hiem joint in a steering system. Right now its in single shear. Doing what I described would place it in double shear, hopefully making it stronger and more resistant to movement.

If you had more room, I would just say trim the end of the mount attached to the engine, weld the part with the bushing to it, then weld the two tabs needed to the piece coming off the frame. Clear as mud?