Thread: Yoke Isn't Tight

Yoke Isn't Tight

I can shake my yoke on the D60. How do I tighten this? The pinion nut or what?

All 3 driveshaft u-joints and both axle u-joints are bad and the front output seal on the t-case leaks. Good thing I don't wheel the daily driver.

Shaggy
    tighten the pinion nut and change all u-joints, and change the seal... i dont really see your question in here... did you just wanna inform us?

True Hollywood Stry
    you might have bigger problems if you can shake the yoke noticably, but tighten it, and yes tate i believe he is jsut telling us his truck is falling apart.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Looks like the question was do I tighten the pinion nut to keep it from shaking. Seeing as how I don't know much about diffs I figured I'd make sure it wasn't some kind of bearing failure.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I will outline my questions with [question] tags in the future since question marks don't do the job these days.

Shaggy
    yes tighten it

Thanks.

True Hollywood Stry
    if it is really lose you might want to take it somewhere that knows gears if you dont know what all you are dealing with cause if, you have lost a bearing in the pinion, and keep wheelin/driving it or whatever you might trash your gears totally.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Shaggy
    i wouldnt waist the money having someone check it... just tighten it and if it still moves then the bearing is trashed... if it gets tight then just keep going and forget about it... if something happens later on then spend the money...

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    Looks like the question was do I tighten the pinion nut to keep it from shaking. Seeing as how I don't know much about diffs I figured I'd make sure it wasn't some kind of bearing failure.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I will outline my questions with [question] tags in the future since question marks don't do the job these days.
    What do you know something about?

Well tightening it shouldn't help any cause it uses shims. The cheap polock way would be to put an extra shim or 3 behind the yoke. But that's on axles that are 25+ years old. But then your truck was a work truck yes? Maybe the hubs were allways left locked in.

If by shake you mean you can rotate it back and forth, tightening the pinion nut won't help. If by shake you mean you can move it in and out of the diff, tighten the pinion nut. Beware though because if it is moving in and out there could be other problems.
    BDR

I know I have a lot of slop somewhere in 2wd. I'm not sure if it is the gears or what, but when I push in the clutch if I don't do it a certain way it grabs and makes a gross noise. Also, when I'm driving and I let of the go pedal completely the truck sort of drops and then when I step on it again it raises. I don't know if it is drivetrain slop or axle wrap of both, but I don't like it.