Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hydro Assist - Do I need another reservoir?

Hydro Assist - Do I need another reservoir?

Another thing I thought about today when getting the hydro-assist mounted up (after only about 3 years of owning it).

Do I need a remote reservoir to carry more fluid?

Remember, I have hydro boost brakes also. If my power steering pump dies, I'm fubar'd.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

True Hollywood Stry
    you dont have to have one, but i recomend a power steering cooler, this will allow for some more fluid and keep it nice and cool. now i just need to put my cooler in.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Depending on what reservoir you currently have, you can bootyfab some more fluid capacity to it by slipping a piece of radiator hose over the neck of the reservoir, and cuting the neck off another reservoir to put at the top of the hose. Ghetto, but quite a few chevy people have done it with no problems.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

maybe use an external resevoir like on a toyota... just kinda going in line with your low volume side for extra storage.

Does the filler of a remote one have to be the same height as the stock one, or does it matter?
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

i think it has to be the same or higher.. it depends... which ever one has the over flow deal on top i guess would have to be higher... like i know the GM ones have a little seap hole on top... i dont think the toyota one does...

i have a toyota one here in a box at the house if you need one for the trip... i was thinking about using it on the jeep when ever i do my stuff.. but you could use it or buy it if you want it

the toyota one is kinda sealed, but will still spray out if overfilled, so I would definitely try to keep them at the same height if possible. Or would it be possible to seal one, like the chevy one and mount the toyota one higher and just fill from there? BTW, the toyota reservoir will need a 1/4in ID hose on the inlet, and a 5/8 ID hose on the outlet

The problem I'm having with my toyota one is the volume of the ram (6x1.5) is nearly 2/3 of the reservoir, so when the ram is extended, the reservoir is nearly empty, and when the ram is compressed, it blows any excess fluid out through the cap. I'm hoping to combat this by adding a oil filter inline to hold more fluid in the system, and later adding a bigger reservior.

i doubt the cooler and filter will solve your problem, u need the extra reservoir volume to deal with the volume change not increased oil capacity. you need a place for the oil to go when the ram is compressed, not more oil.

I've tried to explain this 30 or 40 times but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

yes it does, but until I find a larger reservoir that fits in the little area I have, I got to make do with what I have. Every reservoir I've found so far is to tall, or lacks the added volume I need. As for the filter system, I already have everything to plumb it in, and had it all back when I first did the hydro assist, so I'm not out anything to run it. When I can find something larger, that will fit, then I will make the necesary changes, but right now I'm just gonna have to band aid it

Shaggy
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I've tried to explain this 30 or 40 times but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

one more time please

remember when I asked about building a reservior? I knew it was a problem back then, and was searching for solutions, but so far I haven't found one. The closest thing I have found was a horizontal tank from speedway motors, but so far they haven't been able to give me any decent specs on it, and until I know if its is large enough to be worthwile, I'm not gonna spend the cash on it

I think Fred has one of the 6" ones.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=21_48
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I need to keep it under 5 inches total, including where the hose connects tp the bottom and then goes to the pump. If I go more than this, it will either stick up past the hood and be unprotected (and look like ****), or it will make it next to impossible to operate the free spool lever on my winch. Any other place I attempt to move it to will have interference problems with something. What I really need is a horizontal tank with about a 3.5-4 inch diameter

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

or you could get one off of a camaro, but the mounting is a bit wierd.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 12-12-2005 at 01:40 PM.