Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do yall think of this battery?

Specs on the red- (top) and blue- (bottom) top batteries from Exide:

BCI Group Size..Part Number..CCA at 0° F..CA at 32° F..RC min @ 25 Amps..Dimensions (in.)
    34T.................ORB34M-36.......770...........950....................95.................10-1/8x7x8
    34...................ORB34DC-36.....750...........925....................100................10-1/8x7x8

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    got a pic?

I looked, but I don't have a decent one. You can kind of see it here

Basically I ran a plate on top of the battery with two bolts running through the holes pictured in Ed's post to sandwich the battery in place. It made for a very simple yet very strong mount. I'll be doing a similar setup in a few weeks when I go to dual batteries in the back of my 4runner, and will try to get better pics then.

BTW, I also think JR with the bronco buggy on pirate did something similar to this on his last buildup

So that's just the standard orbital eh?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    Are you running one of the auto orbital selects? I picked up at blue top orbital from Academy yesterday and got a decent deal on it, but I might take it back and try to find a marine starting orbital or just stick with the orbital select g78.
    I'm running whatever Napa sells. I can't remember if napa sells three versions or this battery like optima does (red, yellow, blue), but I always thought the ones I got were the yellow ones (like in the picture above)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    So that's just the standard orbital eh?
    pretty much so. I wish I still had a hook up at napa, the one on my buggy only cost me 80 bucks

You can finagle(sp?) them down close to that...

well, that was around three to four years ago, and my hook up was the napa owner's son. The last time I bought one of these batteries I payed alot more, but I still don't think it was near the prices you have listed

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Anybody know what size the holes are, if they are big enough, I would like to take some solid stock and drill and tap one end for a bolt. I have been looking for some good batteries to put on the GN for the winch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

If I remember correctly you can fit 5/16" in there with no problem. A 3/8" bolt fits, but its a tight fit and you may have to file a little of the plastic to get it to fit, but not enough to hurt the battery.

What I plan to do is weld a coupler nut to the bottom plate, sticking up into cavities between the battery cell. Then I will simply thread a bolt in from the top, similar to what I did before. If you can wait a few weeks, I'll try to get my dual battery setup installed and I'll take pics and measurements

I looked around at some more batteries today. NTB has the group 78 Orbitals, but they want $184 for them and won't price match batteries. Sam's Club has Red/Yellow/Blue top Optimas, the Reds were $138, the Yellows were $155 or so. I couldn't find anyone to ask about price matching. I still haven't made it to a Napa yet, since there aren't any good auto places near me because no one in my part of town works on their own vehicles.

I'd really like to find a red top Exide just becasue using a boat battery that is meant to be slowly drained and re-charged all the time kind of worries me, and I think I could get the red top for $30 cheaper or so.