Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
Not to be singleing Scott out, but I noticed in the recent tube buy thread that Scott requested DOM.

Scott have you changed your position on the strength of HREW? Why the switch to DOM?
I have not changed my position. I built Lynda's cage with DOM and learned the HUGE differnce between the two while pulling the handle on the bender... Her rig is heavy, mine is light.

I roller her rig HARD with ZERO distortion in the cage - that stuff isn't even thinking about bending unless going at high speeds (which we don't do)

I've bent (from rocks, rolling, or a crane...) several pieces of tube on the Patrol but long story short - it is adaquate to protect you in a roll - even in a significant roll. It might distort and require a new cage, BUT - it will protect you.

While offroading - I purposfully stay away from situations that could result in "significant" roll down a hill - I just pull the winch. It's just not worth the risk. I have no problems with laying the rig on it's side or even a slow roll on the lid - not a big deal.

Three reasons the "new" tube on the Patrol will be DOM
1) I have more money
2) I'm using it for the frame
3) I might make new sliders (mine are bent) and the DOM holds up better to the beating on the rocks.

SO - HREW is fine as long as the cage design, welds, and tube fits are done properly. DOM is better but not needed in most applications (low speed)