Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DOM vs. HREW

Originally posted by redcagepatrol
    ...The bent cage is due to a TERRIBLE design. A horizantal bar supported by another horizantal bar??? No upward bars on the outside? What would you expect...
    I believe my exact words were "I'm certain additional bracing would've helped, but some of that stuff flattened, not so cool. I don't know if DOM would've held up any better in the same situation, but it's food for thought."

Again, I agree that the design sucks. I still haven't been able to find any pics of a DOM cage failing...Anyone?

As for $$$, what have you guys found locally for prices? I'm still investigating around here. The local steel supplier had NO IDEA what I was talking about when I said "DOM" or "HREW". He asked if I wanted square tubing 3 different times...

I mentioned to David that I would like to go in with whoever and get a gang of 1.75" and 2" tube, both DOM and HREW, to get the per-foot price down. I won't be needing it for a while, but it's not going to spoil in my shop.

Krawler68
    I think you should call Matt Hodges at West Texas Offroad... 915-651-5010... he knows all about it and has a VERY cheap outlet for it.

I would be intrested in a group buy

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    1.5" .12 wall HREW is about $.87 in Houston while DOM is over $6.00 a foot.

yes DOM is stronger, and yes life is important, but where EITHER of these cages fail (assuming proper construction) will be in an EXTREME rollover worse than the one I watched of Greg's. His cage was ruined but did it's job. I do not ever seeing me being in a situation where I would take a tumble as bad as he did (end over twice and 4 side rolls).

I have seen well over 10 rollovers in my life, Greg's being the worst. I watched 5 in a row at Disney on the same obstacle. Greg's cage was VERY simple - even bolted to the body and it held up. Mine will be much more complex than his and should easily take two end over rolls and 4 sideways rolls with little deformation if any.

Once again - there is no need for OVERKILL. You could make one like the top fuel dragsters have (completley surrounded in tube) but it is NOT NEEDED.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Rex
    Here's another discussion on POR:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=2

Basically what the person was asking was if he should use schedule 80 or DOM on an exo because he has had problems with the DOM bending. The discussion basically said that for hitting rocks and the such that DOM will dent easier. Now think about this: you can stand on a coke can if there are no dents in it, but if you put a small dent on it, the can crushes. I'm sure the same is true for DOM. I'm not saying that I would use pipe for a cage, because it doesn't absorb blows as well as DOM, but if you just use DOM for a cage and want it to be structurally sound then you better be prepared to replace tubes when they dent. Oh yeah, and there are some pics of bent DOM there.

P.S. Jason Larman had a completely HREW cage on his yellow CJ and tipped over once and didn't hurt it at all.

Krawler68
    Go ahead boys, do as you like... 6.00 a foot is butt sex... it's MUCH cheaper from other places... at least I've seen quotes for MUCH lower... as low as 1.80/ foot.

I'll be happy in my DOM cage...

Originally posted by Krawler68
    6.00 a foot is butt sex...

Is that a west Texas thing? butt sex? you ARE gay...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

THree cages and the only one i ever felt SAFE in was my DOM one...
    I sood next to your first one and didn't feel safe.

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Krawler68
    You of course mean kevin's current cage... He thinks it'll be fine...talk about deluded...

Something that I forgot to mention is multiple-plane bends. My understanding is that for HREW to function properly, the seam must be on the inside of the bend. This is impossible with the aforementioned bends.

Krawler68
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...owunits=inches

Not a bad price on DOM...but I've seen better... these guys specialize in all sorts of custom bar stock and tubing in small sizes... so I'm sure their prices aren't exactly the best... if you want better prices I would suggest calling different places and pricing them against each other...

$4.38/foot for 2" .120 wall DOM type 5 tubing

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...owunits=inches

Not bad for Chro-mo really... seen lower, but not dramatically... $6.98/ foot.
    Last edited by Krawler68; 09-27-2002 at 12:52 PM.

Originally posted by Cajun
    I'm on my way out the door to go hunting, so I'll post more info. later.
    Just had to get that in, huh fag. Well so am I, see ya!

~dso
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

kinda like glad lok... let's roll my **** down a hill and then your ****... whose rig would you feel more comfortable inside? I for one would NOT want to take a tumble in an HREW cage if I could help it... not to say it won't work...but why buy a Forkin' Klune V and then be cheap on a cage?

But with that thinking, why not go Cro Moly. It's the best. It's your LIFE. Right?

Well, there's no DOM to be had here in town. Looks like Htown will be the best place to get it.

Andy, between hunting trip, why don't you pick up a Htown Yellow Book and make yourself useful.

Alright, I really am outta here now. Have a good weekend all. See ya next week.

~dso

Triple S steel in houston is normally the cheapest, they have a surplus yard too and there is really good stuff in there. If any part of the shipment was damaged all of it goes to the surplus yard. So sometimes there is brand new, perfectly good steal that is really cheap!! They have 2 locations