Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DOM vs. HREW

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Not to be singleing Scott out, but I noticed in the recent tube buy thread that Scott requested DOM.

Scott have you changed your position on the strength of HREW? Why the switch to DOM?
    I have not changed my position. I built Lynda's cage with DOM and learned the HUGE differnce between the two while pulling the handle on the bender... Her rig is heavy, mine is light.

I roller her rig HARD with ZERO distortion in the cage - that stuff isn't even thinking about bending unless going at high speeds (which we don't do)

I've bent (from rocks, rolling, or a crane...) several pieces of tube on the Patrol but long story short - it is adaquate to protect you in a roll - even in a significant roll. It might distort and require a new cage, BUT - it will protect you.

While offroading - I purposfully stay away from situations that could result in "significant" roll down a hill - I just pull the winch. It's just not worth the risk. I have no problems with laying the rig on it's side or even a slow roll on the lid - not a big deal.

Three reasons the "new" tube on the Patrol will be DOM
    1) I have more money
    2) I'm using it for the frame
    3) I might make new sliders (mine are bent) and the DOM holds up better to the beating on the rocks.

SO - HREW is fine as long as the cage design, welds, and tube fits are done properly. DOM is better but not needed in most applications (low speed)
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

does .120 wall HREW actually measure .120? .120 DOM definitely looks thicker than .120 HREW, and pulling the handle on the bender is waaaaay harder. Maybe it has something to do with the ratings...like DOM is at least .120 and HREW is closer to actually .120?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

what?

Disregarding that they are both called .120 wall, is .120 wall DOM is thicker than .120 wall HREW?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

no, they are both .120

keep in mind tubing is used for more than just cages and indexed off the ID or OD so if its not consistant with the size its junk

so two pieces of tubing, both 1.75" OD, both .120" wall, both mild steel, one HREW and one DOM and somehow the DOM is thicker and heavier. Guess the welded seam saves weight?

"Eduardo" - The Pink Jeep Lynda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    ....so is that to say that HREW is unsafe?
    No, HREW is safe...but DOM is safer
    Lynda
    Project "CJ" in the works: http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982&highlight=lynda

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    so two pieces of tubing, both 1.75" OD, both .120" wall, both mild steel, one HREW and one DOM and somehow the DOM is thicker and heavier. Guess the welded seam saves weight?
    In my opinion, Everyone thinks the seemless or DOM process has better wall control, it doesn't. DOM, Drawn over mandrel is made by extruding a billet of steel over a piercing point. It is very hard to maintain a constant wall thickness via this method. On the other hand HREW is made by rolling a strip of metal into a tube.

With HREW you can start off with 0.120 thick plate and roll it and have very consistent wall. With DOM a manufacturer will intentionally "roll heavy" or have a thicker wall to insure that it is atleast .120 all around, so one side might be .130 while the other is .120 I think that is why DOM is heavier.

The other difference is how much you trust the weld process that links the HREW together. I could see where that might have some internal stress built into it.

Just my 2 cents.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

jones is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    jones is that you?
    No it was authentic Karl sharing his pipe knowledge with the the world. I like to try to contribute some technical related comments to this board every now and again. You might try it sometime.....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

ok but let me send you an email making fun of jones for stating the same thing first
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    No it was authentic Karl sharing his pipe knowledge with the the world...
    I got that far and didn't want to read the rest.

Holey fawkiin shiat! Real tech! Thanks!

I've always have read on the internet, that DOM starts life off as HREW and then has the drawn over mandrel pipe.

Karl however works in this industry and knows how to lay pipe!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

karl are you confusing seamless and DOM? I've ordered both dom and seamless pipe and there were big price differences, but that was stainless and a long time ago. It was some indian mfg if you want to check the pipe network