Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Undoing my hard work

Undoing my hard work

I'm thinking about taking the blazer apart for good and parting out or scrapping what remains.

Positives:

Many good buggy parts... 14 bolt, low mile TBI 350 (fred and jimmy would be happy!), steering column, title, lots of little things...

Getting rid of something I don't need that will just sit around.

Making money on what I don't need/want

Negatives:

I have a slight attatchment too it but not really. I'd rather have the parts than to sell it. I don't have any ambition to restore it or make it nice. The best it would be is a ranch truck or something similiar, as of which I don't have the need for in the near future.

Blazer bodies or old truck bodies are usually dirt cheap or free, so I can't see keeping it around for that purpose.

If I ever wanted to restore and older blazer it would be a 68-72...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Why scrap it allready? Does it not work as is? Build the buggy frame, then pull the drivetrain. That way you can still wheel the blazer for the next few years, instead of having nothing to wheel.

I have nothing to tow it with, therefore it wouldn't be wheeled very often. Maybe once or twice a year if my brother wants to go or jerry for some weird reason again.

Also, the last trip was the first time I actually felt nervous wheeling it. I know this was due to not actually test driving it more than around the block. I guess it just felt more like work than fun and it really has no purpose other than sitting around.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Remove the body and tube buggy it on that frame. More and more people have 3/4 ton + trucks. I don't think it would be that hard to find someone to tow you, especially if you dropped some weight off of it (i.e. the body). There was a guy at Alto (friend of Andy's) who tows his Wagoneer with a 1/2 ton Chevy (on a gooseneck no less). He said it pulls great. If you build a buggy from scratch it will take you a LONG time plus you're still not much different on being towed, so why bother?
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

My offer stands at $1500, if my company will get off their ass and reimburse for my $400 in gas, bastids!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    My offer stands at $1500, if my company will get off their ass and reimburse for my $400 in gas, bastids!
    ass I just spent probably a grand on tires, suspension, and rebuilding the dana 60
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    so you profit by $500...i dont see where your complaint is...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I really don't know much about your situation and what you want, but just breaking the ears off the square tube driveshaft isn't that big of a deal. You probably knew it was risky to make one and especially with all the heat being placed on the yoke ears. Look what happens to Mario's everytime he makes one (although he just butt welds the yoke on...) I would at least fix the front driveshaft and try taking it out one more time, if you still hate it build a buggy with your drivetrain from the Blazer. As for the towing issue, I am always more than willing to give anyone a tow if they will split the gas money.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

One thing you should learn Robbie, is comparing someone to Mario doesnt make them feel any better. Besides, as far as I know the alto shaft was the first one hes had trouble with, he usually has engine fires and **** like that. I also say build the buggy chassis and wheel the blazer until its time to gut it.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    One thing you should learn Robbie, is comparing someone to Mario doesnt make them feel any better. Besides, as far as I know the alto shaft was the first one hes had trouble with, he usually has engine fires and **** like that. I also say build the buggy chassis and wheel the blazer until its time to gut it.
    My apologies I didn't mean to compare Doug to him in any way. Wheeling the blazer until you are ready for the drivetrain is probably your best bet if you decide to do a buggy but hey, it's your project and your decision.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    I really don't know much about your situation and what you want, but just breaking the ears off the square tube driveshaft isn't that big of a deal. You probably knew it was risky to make one and especially with all the heat being placed on the yoke ears. Look what happens to Mario's everytime he makes one (although he just butt welds the yoke on...) I would at least fix the front driveshaft and try taking it out one more time, if you still hate it build a buggy with your drivetrain from the Blazer. As for the towing issue, I am always more than willing to give anyone a tow if they will split the gas money.
    you should stop talking

I dont want the 60 krebs throw the 10 bolt back under it
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    you should stop talking
    some people
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 12-23-2005 at 01:20 PM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Tilloda
    mario: "it was a u-joint not a square shaft failure...square shafts are better than round ones"

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    some people
    why did you edit that?
    So you loose, I win!

You know that blazer would tow nicely behind the F-150 on a gooseneck. I estimate twice as good. If I have 8000 lbs behind dodge on a bumper pull, it handles much worse than 14000 lbs on a gooseneck. That little trailer of mike's would work great.