Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tires

tires

Here we go one more time. Who has had the best prices you have found on tires? I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get some larger tires. At this point the 39.5x13.5-15 IROK seems my most likely choice. But now I need to see who can give me the best price and if I can get a warranty. Tommorow I start calling around, but I need a list of who to check with

So far
    4wheelparts
    www.natltire.com
    the tasselsdesign guy on pirate
    tirerack perhaps?
    would any of the local places carry these, and will they be competitive price wise?
    I heard once before to talk to sam's offroad in Ok. Are they even around anymore?
    other ideas?

So far I've contacted the guy on pirate. Around $235 a tire, 100 shipping for all four, no taxes, but also no warranty

4wheel parts has them listed on the website for a little less a tire, and I believe they offer a warranty, but I have heard horror stories in relation to that. I'm going to call tommorow and see if the instore prices match the website, and get more info. Anyone know if I pick them up at a store if I'll still be charged shipping? Taxes may suck though

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Talk to Frick, I know he bought his from 4WP and I thought that they shipped for free? Might be a special offer though. Best bet would be to order them through 4wp, yes everyone knows they're sometimes dicks, but you'd probably pay a ton for shipping from NTW. You pretty much covered the main places to check, but whatever you do DO NOT order them in from Discount, they will charge you out the ass. I hope those will fit on the buggy, it's not like you can trim anything to fit em'.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

How does discount charge you out the ass?

i dont see a problem with discount. there your best bet in my opinion and you get a full warranty not a half bass one like 4wp. if any one is gonna rip you off its 4wp
    Clayton Rollins '08
    210-863-1435
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
    1983 Waggy

4wp has hosed alot of people I know when it came time for them to warranty a tire. But I've also seen alot of people who have had great luck with 4wp. So its a toss up.

As for discount, it would be nice since they are local, but like I said, are they competitive? I thought they tended to be overpriced, and wouldn't price match?

I used to work there, that's how I know. Yes they give you cert's on tires, but they do charge a fee for ordering on top of the original price, but they usually will match or beat the price only of the tire listed from other companies. Also along with the fee, they will take awhile to come in, plus the fee to mount and balance (charge for oversized tires). There's nothing wrong with Discount and I'll probably be working there again in the summer, but if it was me and I was buying a set of tires that I knew a company wouldn't have in stock I would just walk in to 4wp and walk out with tires already mounted with no extra ordering or labor costs. That's all, just seems easier to get it all done at once without the b.s.

BTW- I've already had 2 warn premium hubs replaced free of charge from 4WP, just make sure you keep your reciepts and cert's.
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 12-26-2005 at 09:17 PM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

like I said, does anyone know if 4wp still charges shipping if you pick up in store? I'm going through austin in the next few weeks, and could grab them then

When I got my tires from 4wp I got them on a free shipping weekend. The kicker was you get free shipping but a $40 handling charge. Still cheaper than actually shipping them I suppose but a crock of **** none-the-less. I didnt bother with the warranty, mostly because I did not want to spend any more at the time of purchase but also because when it comes to warranties, I always lose the paper work and am too lazy to persue it anyway. It'll probably be hard to beat 4wp on price. I say buy the tires alone and mount them yourself. They dont have to be ballanced being on the buggy and all and watching mario do my spare made me think it doesnt look that hard.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

yeah, 4wp is always running some kinda special where you save on one thing, but are raped on another. Good point on the warranty. I lost the paperwork on my last optima, and then fried it. So I told myself don't lose the paperwork on this new battery, and guess what, it was gone in less then 2 months

As for mounting, I may have to employ mario's services, or take the tires back home and let a freind mount them for some beer. I know you said yours were easy looking, but I've talked to a few other people like shorty (SASed nissan on 40s) who've done a few themselves, and will never do it again

BTW, am I making the right choice on tires? I've researched just about everything else out there, and there are some nice choices in the 38.5-40 inch size, but swampers are just so much cheaper and get the job done. So it came down to the 38.5x14.5 SX, the 39.5x15 TSL, and the irok. The TSL was quite a bit more money than the others, and is big and heavy. The SX is a sweet tire, but I like the extra height the others provide. But for the price the IROKs are hard to beat, so I guess they're the winner

Tires are easy to mount if you know how to do it. I've done probably a hundred over my years. If anything's a ***** it'll be breaking the beads on the old ones. But given your bead blowing problems that should be fine. Bigger tires are easier. The worst are those dam little tires with a 12" wheel or so.

I'd be more worried about making sure they wouldn't rub too bad against the tube while flexing. Do you have ram assist? If not may be time to look into that. As for mounting them yourself it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have a wide ass rim, which makes it harder to set the bead, if you do just wrap a ratchet strap around the rim and tire to help hold the bead when you go to air it up, or do the whole lighter thing. I paid $25 whenever I had my Claws mounted up and deads thrown.
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 12-26-2005 at 11:44 PM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

yeah, ram assist, turning shouldn't be a problem. And don't worry about me rubbing. After looking over everything carefully, I think everything should clear fine, and I'm still moving the front axle forward 2 inches anyway. If it does hit bad enough to be a problem I have several ways of adjusting it to fit. When Wood built the buggy he originally intended to run 40s, but I got it before he took that step.

Oh yeah, I'm going to mount these on the 8 inch rims I have now

Sweet.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"