Thread: Tractor axle idea

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar

Tractor axle idea

Well I was out on the tractor today doing some poop pile moving when I started thinking so I thought I'd start a discussion on this idea. What about using tractor axles in a buggy? Yes they're narrow, but the benefits of tighter turning radius' and planetary gears is great. You'd end up with a gear ratio of around 10:1 I'm guessing which would be pretty good. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things. What are your thoughts?
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Shaggy
    sound heavy

heavy, not all that much stronger, goofy lug pattern, parts would twice as much as reg axle.
    there was a guy (search pirate)who built one using 4wd off-road fork lift axles...he said after all said and done not worth it and he had broken parts often.

there was, and may still be a comp rig (east coast I believe) who used tractor axles. Like they said big, heavy, and expensive. Plus, where are you going to find them easily?

No brakes.

You'd have to pull one apart to find out how strong it is. But I'm gonna say a small tractor axle wouldn't be up to a small block and 42s. Once you get up into the 100hp+ tractor axles they'd probably be strong. But they'd be really heavy. And fwd wasn't really common in larger tractors untill the mid 90s, so most of those are still going, and used parts are kinda scarce.

There's two benefits to tractor axles: 1)the front steering axles have a hell of a turning radius. 2) planetary gears give you a hell of a gear ratio. 3) they are hell for stout.

2=3 right

The rest is downfall. All FWD tractor axles are going to be center diff, making front driveshaft/oil pan clearance bad. Next problem is finding them for a decent deal. Farmers use tractors until they are falling to pieces, or if it's new enough a trade in. Either way finding a used tractor axle is going to be tough. Next, like kopeki said...no brakes. Although this is not altogether unfixable because you could fab up some sort of driveline brake. Also there is a downfall for the great gear ratio.....it's too much. It will be tough to find any gear ratios to match it in the rear end.
    BDR

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67
    There's two benefits to tractor axles: 1)the front steering axles have a hell of a turning radius. 2) planetary gears give you a hell of a gear ratio. 3) they are hell for stout.

2=3 right

The rest is downfall. All FWD tractor axles are going to be center diff, making front driveshaft/oil pan clearance bad. Next problem is finding them for a decent deal. Farmers use tractors until they are falling to pieces, or if it's new enough a trade in. Either way finding a used tractor axle is going to be tough. Next, like kopeki said...no brakes. Although this is not altogether unfixable because you could fab up some sort of driveline brake. Also there is a downfall for the great gear ratio.....it's too much. It will be tough to find any gear ratios to match it in the rear end.
    I already stated the above benefits, as well I don't think anyone is seeing the point here. I am not personally building a buggy at the moment nor would I consider putting these type of axles in my Jeep. That said, the fact that it would have "too low" of gearing wouldn't matter in a buggy. Would you be driving a buggy down the highway? no. The second point I will make is this, you don't have to find gears to match the rear when you can just take another front axle and have rear steer. Also since it's a buggy with no street action, a pinion brake like the cheap asses with mogs who don't want to spend money on discs would work too. I will vouch for the durability of these axles since my dad and I have managed to keep ours in one piece throughout all of our ventures. Motor placement within a tube chassis could also prevent the above centered driveline issue. In my book it's a good idea and I will be doing some research on it. I know there are plenty of commercial and implement salvage yards to be searched out there. That is all.

EDIT: I also thought about the Hydrostatic transmission possibilities as well???
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I've seen one in Peterson's, so yes it can be done. But if you're going to present ideas like installing tractor axles and hydrostatic drive then I'm just going to come out and say I've been working on a top secret hyperdrive on the FJ capable of producing ludicrous speed. Just watch for me on the trail.....I'll be the one who's gone plaid.

Go spend a day or two on Pirate researching the whole hydrostatic idea and get back to us.

sorry, i'm just feeling a little beligerent
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 01-04-2006 at 02:36 AM.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67
    I've been working on a top secret hyperdrive on the FJ capable of producing ludicrous speed. Just watch for me on the trail.....I'll be the one who's gone plaid.
    hell yeah, I'm installing a vertical take off engine in the buggy. Now I can just fly over the big obstacles

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    I already stated the above benefits, as well I don't think anyone is seeing the point here. I am not personally building a buggy at the moment nor would I consider putting these type of axles in my Jeep. That said, the fact that it would have "too low" of gearing wouldn't matter in a buggy. Would you be driving a buggy down the highway? no. The second point I will make is this, you don't have to find gears to match the rear when you can just take another front axle and have rear steer. Also since it's a buggy with no street action, a pinion brake like the cheap asses with mogs who don't want to spend money on discs would work too. I will vouch for the durability of these axles since my dad and I have managed to keep ours in one piece throughout all of our ventures. Motor placement within a tube chassis could also prevent the above centered driveline issue. In my book it's a good idea and I will be doing some research on it. I know there are plenty of commercial and implement salvage yards to be searched out there. That is all.

EDIT: I also thought about the Hydrostatic transmission possibilities as well???
    sore much about you ridea being shot down? its a bad idea and deserved killin'

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Randy Torbett (won the 2004 Supercrawl) runs New Holland axles and has only broken two CV joints. They turn 45 degrees front and rear and are heavy enough to keep from adding water to the tires
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Zing!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    ... and are heavy enough to keep from adding water to the tires

...so its does double duty plowing the fields? i wasnt aware rock crawlers added water to their tires.

i still think its a bad idea. different and neat, yes, but still bad.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    pretty much all comp buggys run water or shot in the tires to keep the tires on the ground and to bring the buggys up to the min weight of 2500#'s

We had the front tires filled to the top of the rim and the rears about 1/3rd of the way
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!