Thread: 4l85e

4l85e

Will a 4L85E bolt up to a cummins 6Bt? If so you think it would hold up? Do you think a cummins 6Bt's sump would clear the IFS in, let's say hypotheticallly, a late 90's GM 3/4 ton IFS. Will it fit?
    Discuss.
    Any known links, pics to this said above conversion.
    Successful?
    Continue to discuss.

Yes it can be done, and has been done. Used to be a semicommon conversion in the years of the failing 6.5 pumps. But if one were to put a diesel in such vehicle, I reccomend a 6.5 with some stuff done.

I dont know about mating them or if the pan would fit but I can almost garuntee the 4L85E will hold up. It is rated to handle up to 800 ft. lbs. in stock form and is a straight up badass tranny. In my dreams, my ultimate DD will have a cummins and 4L80E.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

AgDieseler
    TDR has a great conversion forum. There's a guy there that has done a decent conversion to an IFS chevy, albeit with a NV4500, but it looks good.

There should be just enough room for the stock firewall to clear a 12V valve cover, and still have enough room for a mechanical fan up front with a shroud and all.

Are you going to use your 4L80E or find a new big bad 4L85E like in the Brune wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I can almost garuntee the 4L85E will hold up. It is rated to handle up to 800 ft. lbs. in stock form .
    where did that torque figure come from I thought it was a lot lower than that It is a bad ass tranny but I don't think it's quite that badass(600+ft.lbs.) in stock form. It's definitly my dream tranny for my 68' so I could let my ls1 ecm shift it.

dave,
    copy me some threads and articles. I don't feel like paying $35 to be a member. I'll buy you a beer!

On coloradok5.com someone mentioned the "80" stood for 800 ft lbs. They might be full of **** so consider this regurgitate internet garble if you have a more credible source.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I had read somewhere is was rated to 485 ft.lbs in stock form from gm

AgDieseler
    It's the Art-Carr and Jet rebuilds that are rated at 800 lb-ft.

Oops, I guess thats why the roled out the Allison for the newer ballbusting motors.

Quote Originally Posted by AgDieseler
    Are you going to use your 4L80E or find a new big bad 4L85E like in the Brune wagon?
    I already have the 4l85e in the sub. I believe the 85 part means 4wd

edit: 85 is the newer version I have an 80 I guessing they are rated near the same.
    Anyone have any pics or links to this conversion?

AgDieseler
    Cleanest conversion ever, though to an 80s model: http://www.devilscastle.net/

I'm not a TDR member either, so I have to wait for replies to view threads. I just snoop around.

my cuz told me that chevytruckworld.com has a few good threads on 12v cummins in chebbys but I haven't had a chance to check it out
    let us know what you find out...my oil plug looks more and more like a pincushion with every oil change
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121702

There isnt much actual tech info there but you might be able to find something usefull.