Thread: high steer spacer

high steer spacer

i need to get my steering up a little higher. would it be a bad idea to run two spacers under the arm? 1-1" and 1-.5" for a total of 1.5".

heres what im talking about

Shaggy
    im sure it depends on what material they are made out of... and why not just one 1.5" spacer

b/c i already have two 1" ones and it would be cheaper to just add two .5" ones. another 1" would probably be better, but id have to get new studs then. so, i want to try a .5" first.

I think it would be alot safer to run just one unless the two spacers have some way of indexing them so they don't try to sheer off
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

looks to me like that's gonna compound forces on the studs...but you're the engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

i dont see any reason not to do it, but my co-worker is gonna tig them together just to be safe.

that sounds like a much better idea
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    well...at one time he had the common sense to figure out the various forces involved....but he has decided to forgo common sense and go back to school for an ME degree...

i think welding them together will work just fine...
    Last edited by StevenAg03; 01-30-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

The only difference between mine and yours is the length of the front mounts right? I'm not running a spacer at all, maybe if you were to make them somewhere between mine and yours the spacer you have would work? Does it rub now?

After looking at yours and mine, I think I must have more caster than you. Your pinion angle looks to be a little more than mine, think you could rotate the perches a little?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    The only difference between mine and yours is the length of the front mounts right? I'm not running a spacer at all, maybe if you were to make them somewhere between mine and yours the spacer you have would work? Does it rub now?

After looking at yours and mine, I think I must have more caster than you. Your pinion angle looks to be a little more than mine, think you could rotate the perches a little?

yes that is my next option. when i set it up i had correct castor. now that the springs have settled i dont know what it is, but it still drives great. i think your longer front mounts just flatten the angle of the spring out some and lower the front of it relative to the steering. im just gonna bolt this up and see if it works. if it does, ill weld it and run it. if it doesnt, ill rotate the perches and put more castor into it.

What does castor oil have to do with hi-steer spacers?

well i thought about my mounts at first, but if you look under my misc. pics on offroadrepublic.com, you'll see that the steering arm comes up at a pretty good angle, while yours is flat.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

yeah, i was looking at your pics last night. i think my caster is correct though, 5 degrees rearward. ill check it when i get home.

Advantage heims. I was able to use some small spacers under the heims. But then again, you're not talking about small spacers. The welding together is probably a good idea. Anyway, I don't see why not. Try it out and let us know.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

i got the digital angle finder from work and half way measured the caster. seems like its settled to about 1.5-2 degrees. that means i may be able to kick the axle back about 3.5 degrees and it should fix my problem. ill take the wheels off tomorrow and look at it closer when i have some time.