Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: outboard spring hangers

aggielr

outboard spring hangers

i need some input on this, i have some 3" angle iron, should i just use 1 piece of angle iron and brace it w/some flat bar and weld it to the frame, or use the 1 piece to put the hanger on and turn another piece opposite, like one side against the frame and the other on top of the frame and weld those toegther and brace it? any input?

aggielr
    like this

Do you ever actually LOOK for answers before you post?

fag.

Here ya go...

The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

aggielr
    well fag, after consulting with some engineers, i've decided to use a piece of plate that runs under the frame and then brace the plate to the side of the frame, since most of the pressure on the mount is going to be pushed upward, the plate under the frame gives it something to push against, rather than just relying on welds

yup, good idea, especially since you have to put about a 3/16" spacer between the frame and steering box mount since the shackle hanger isn't there anymore. tie it into the design. been considering the same with mine when I finally get around to doing it right.

Originally posted by aggielr
    ...rather than just relying on welds
    Especially those welds

Ooooo, engineers huh. I'm sure they were automotive ones at that.

You get to that point and then see what you think. Welding to the bottom gives you very little area to weld to, 2" compared to 4". Then you take into consideration the edges that you have to work with. On the sides you have the length of the steel on both top and bottom, if you do it on the bottom, you have only the outside, the inside would have to be butt welded. Plus, it's pulling the non-boxed frame lip down (as the plate pushes up). That leaves you torqing on the weakest edge that you have to work with.

My original plan was to run 3 or 4 bolts throught the frame on each of mine. After welding them up, I didn't think it was necessary. Either way, I don't see how a flat plate across the bottom could match these in strength. There's not enough to weld to IMO.

Like I said, you get to that point and see what you think. Once you see it in the flesh, you might not take the words of POR engineers, or otherwise, as the bible truth. Sometimes even common sense wins out.

~dso

Fawk you andy, that was the first welds I ever did, with gas. Gay.
    Last edited by davido; 10-07-2002 at 10:08 PM.

Originally posted by davido

Fawk you andy, that was the first welds I ever did, with gas. Gay.
    J/K...As long as they hold, who cares what they look like. Function over form all day long.

At any rate, I'm interpreting his idea as follows in the attachment. The crude MS Paint image is the spring hanger as viewed from the front of the frame. The black rectange is the frame, the red line is the plate he mentioned, and the blue triangle is bracing, like David's. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but if this is the case I'd say it would be plenty strong.

Yeah, I understood it. But, all you really have is an 2" on the ends and one length of it. It's not enough welded to the frame for my taste. I'd be worried that over time, the triangles would push into the side of the frame and let the flat bar bend up.

I guess we'll see.

~dso

I see what you're saying, but I don't think the flat bar would be any more likely to bend than a piece of angle, given they are the same material and thickness.

But, like you said, I guess we'll see.

Edit: Are you saying that the frame itself would fail, compromising the whole assembly? If so, than I agree that he would be better off with angle like yours.
    Last edited by Cajun; 10-07-2002 at 10:30 PM.

aggielr
    forgot to mention, i'm puttin a piece of 4x4 box tubing inbetween those frame rails, and i'm also goin to have 3 gussets goin to the frame, and it wasn't the por board guys, some of theirs looked worse than my first idea, it was scott, james, ryan and scooter that helped me make my decision, i just don't want all the wieght of the vehicle on 4" of welds, i'd rather have something it can push againts

just out of curiousity - i have heard its not such a great idea to weld across a frame. any substance to this?

BigRedFord04
    i had heard the same but have seen it in many instances, so i just assume its ok now...what do y'all think?

Krawler68
    Originally posted by davido
    Plus, it's pulling the non-boxed frame lip down (as the plate pushes up). T~dso

There's your main problem...no boxed frame... shoulda bought a bronco...

Applying that much heat to the frame can create a weak spot in the frame, but the gusseting makes up for that. Judging by how much steel you guys add to the frame at the hangers, I would be more concerned about cracking the frame elsewhere.

But if you are concerned about this, welding on the side of the frame is better as the largest compression and tension loads are carried in the top and bottom of the frame section.

The other concern is that outboarding the springs applies an inward twisting force to the frame rails that they were not designed for. Ideally, the outboarded hangers should be connected together using a crossmember so that the torquing component is negated.

BTW, Dave and I just added his steering box mounts to his FJ frame which required serious cutting and welding. Here strength wasn't an issue, rather deformation of the frame from the heat was the concern. So we added temporary bracing to keep things in line.

Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...