Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 4BT Cummins Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by 95discovery
    whys that
    The AMC's a much better engine than your stardard old SBC. Better heads, stronger bottom end, bigger lifters, stronger block. It was designed after everyone else's small blocks had been out a long time. They took what was good from all the others and combined them, and it came out closer to a chrysler than anything else. If you want to go chevy, it needs to be of the LT1 or LS series.

The 4bt cummins has the same tranny bolt pattern as a 6bt. They are mated to GM tansmissions using an adapter plate made by cummins. This plate sells for about $700 used if you can find one. One thing alot of people dont like about the plate is that with the 6bt, it tilts the engine about 5 degrees to one side. Why, I dont know. I also dont know if it has the same effect on 4bt's but they are the ones that came with it from the factory.

Put a 6.5L chevy diesel with a banks turbo kit in the jeep. You get good power and mileage and alot less cost. In fact, I know someone that is selling one.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    The AMC's a much better engine than your stardard old SBC. Better heads, stronger bottom end, bigger lifters, stronger block. It was designed after everyone else's small blocks had been out a long time. They took what was good from all the others and combined them, and it came out closer to a chrysler than anything else. If you want to go chevy, it needs to be of the LT1 or LS series.
    thanks, i dont really know too much about that engine. The only thing ive noticed is that parts are much easier to come by for the sbc than for the 360 but i may just not be looking in the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    The 4bt cummins has the same tranny bolt pattern as a 6bt. They are mated to GM tansmissions using an adapter plate made by cummins. This plate sells for about $700 used if you can find one. One thing alot of people dont like about the plate is that with the 6bt, it tilts the engine about 5 degrees to one side. Why, I dont know. I also dont know if it has the same effect on 4bt's but they are the ones that came with it from the factory.

Put a 6.5L chevy diesel with a banks turbo kit in the jeep. You get good power and mileage and alot less cost. In fact, I know someone that is selling one.
    The 4bt has the same problem with the 5degree plate but they just make the tranny tilted in the conversions ive seen.

I think pig pen needs the motor more than i do.

fbronco86
    I would put a 7.3l in it. Best motor ever.

If I got my hands on a 4bt I'd probably sell it and do some mod to pigpen to double its value.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    If I got my hands on a 4bt I'd probably sell it and do some mod to pigpen to double its value.
    replace the bulb in the ash tray lamp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

buy acetylene and convert it into "short metal"
    (good game, Jerry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Yea there are less suppliers but anything you want is available. They just don't list many of them in the jegs and summit catalogs.

Quote Originally Posted by 95discovery
    thanks, i dont really know too much about that engine. The only thing ive noticed is that parts are much easier to come by for the sbc than for the 360 but i may just not be looking in the right places.

Yea there are less suppliers but anything you want is available. They just don't list many of them in the jegs and summit catalogs.
    BYOVaseline
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

yeah, just look in any hotrod mag and you can see where all the power is coming from. nobody runs smallblocks with aluminum heads and aftermarket parts anmore. all the cool kids run stock amc 360's. why, i was having lunch with zora arkus-duntov and dale earnhardt sr. last week and they both said they are switching to amc 360's this year...er something.

Yea the aftermarket has figured out to make a SBC work well.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    yeah, just look in any hotrod mag and you can see where all the power is coming from. nobody runs smallblocks with aluminum heads and aftermarket parts anmore. all the cool kids run stock amc 360's. why, i was having lunch with zora arkus-duntov and dale earnhardt sr. last week and they both said they are switching to amc 360's this year...er something.
    I wonder how many of those people are running stock shortblocks......

why would not just swap in a 4.6 w/ a cam and some head work and be done w/ it..plus you save 300lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    why would not just swap in a 4.6 w/ a cam and some head work and be done w/ it..plus you save 300lbs
    Been trying to tell you to do that instead of satisfying your diesel fetish on the series truck