Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: tow rig/mild 4x4/daily driver

so where would you suggest finding such a beast? Single cab, 4x4 if I can, 5.4, standard or auto, bed or no bed, just the basics

Get a Z71. Either a newew one like Robbie's or a late 90s one. They are great trucks IMO. They get around 16 or 17 mpg and are plenty durable as long as you dont modify them, which brings me to my next point, dont do any performance mods to a DD. I decided on this policy with the crewcab. I have added a few reliability items like dual batteries and will do some superficial **** like extra lights but do not modify the drivetrain. A Z71 is plenty capable of towing that kind of load, even without trailer brakes if you were really ambitious (I've done it ). The late 90s ones usually go for around 7k and they all are decked out with nice interiors, A/c, and all the "offroad options" (posi rear, skid plates and bilstein shocks) as part of the Z71 package.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

A J-Truck:

Or a Cherokee:

You could maybe find one with the AMC 360, T-18 with the 6.32 first gear, and a decent T-case, with either D44 or larger axles front and rear.

Plus they're usually damn cheap.

Are you looking at trading in the taco? If so, chevy has some good rebates and with a trade in you could probably do pretty good on getting a new 1500z71 with the smaller 5.3 or 5.4 whatever it is. My parents just got a 4door and it gets 20mpg. It should tow easy too considering our 4runner could tow the cruiser and get 16mpg with a v6. I wouldn't jack with a DD. If the factory stuff with a little bigger tire can't get you there then you shouldn't be there if your wanting a reliable truck to use everyday and last.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209
    Or a Cherokee:

ive always wanted one of these. however i would have a hard time leaving it stock and end up with two rigs just like i have now.

i cant remember if its already been said, but whatever you get, add a detroit limited slip in the rear. shouldnt jack so much with the steetability of it and off road it would help.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by william_ace
    i cant remember if its already been said, but whatever you get, add a detroit limited slip in the rear. shouldnt jack so much with the steetability of it and off road it would help.
    most newer vehicles(97 and up) on the road today, come equiped with a factory traction aide of some type
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    ive always wanted one of these. however i would have a hard time leaving it stock and end up with two rigs just like i have now.

Ditto, did you see the one they built on Trucks?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TexTJ209; 02-25-2006 at 06:06 PM.

One sold at the A&M auction for $600 today.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Yah but it sure as **** didnt look like either of the ones pictured here. It looked like a $500 version...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I only paid $8,000 for mine 3 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that was a good deal with 142,000 on it. It has 209,000 now. Diesels are for more than just better mileage. I like driving them (epsecially standard) more because you don't have to shift as often. The torque at lower RPM is really nice. I borrow my moms truck a month ago while I was working on mine and the lack of power (4.6L Ford) especially in the low end was driving my crazy. They also last longer for the most part.

If you do get a diesel (doesn't sound like you want one) then for the love of God get the tallest gears you can get. 4.10s are WAY too low unless you pull heavy all the time. I'm at 2600 RPM at 75, so I'm going to blow my tax return on an overdrive unit that will knock 20% off my RPM.

Shaggy
    i am wanting something too... I want something in diesel because my bronco weighs too mas for a gas motor. I really want a crew cab 2500hd with a duramax but finding one used isnt as easy as i want

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55
    most newer vehicles(97 and up) on the road today, come equiped with a factory traction aide of some type

yes thats true, but they arent near as good as the aftermarket ones.

Quote Originally Posted by davido
    One sold at the A&M auction for $600 today.

Nvm..looked on the site, was a 1986 Grand Wagoneer, not a Cherokee. When/where are these auctions held?
    Last edited by TexTJ209; 02-25-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Wow, got some cool stuff here.

to begin, there is no way I would buy a Z71. I hated my last chevy. If I get something, I want a straight axle in the front

As for the FSJs, for some reason I really like them. I do haul alot of stuff in the bed of truck though, but a enclosed rear area would be nice for the dogs, so it would be hard to decide between a F truck or a waggy. The nice thing is they're cheap.

as for trading in my taco, no I would try to sell it outright. I like the truck, it just isn't powerful enough for me or large enough to tow well. I'm also tired of making payments. I bought this truck while working at the convience store and my paychecks where much larger, so the monthly payment is starting to weigh on me. If I bought anything new, I would try to do it on a cash deal. And I honestly don't drive that much (I've put on 7000 miles on the taco in a year, and over 1500 of that was done on three weekend trips). Will I get rid of the taco? I don't know yet, but I've got time to think about it. BTW, it still blue books for between 500-1500 dollars more than I payed for it over a year ago.

As for not modifying your DD, yeah, I understand that. Remember I drove my last trail rig as a DD for 2+ years before rolling it. But I also miss those days. The looks people gave you, being able to go wheelin at the drop of a hat, even if it was just to play in the mud or sand, harrasing the ricers by drifting into thier lane, or threatening to drag the guy who just stole the parking spot you had been wating for out by his rear bumper and then playing monster truck on the remains of his car. I loved every minute of it. And its not like I'll be without a vehicle if something breaks down. I ride the bus to school, and I have my fiancee's car (our schedules are different enough that we would have no problem with only one vehicle).