Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: tow rig/mild 4x4/daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209
    Ditto, did you see the one they built on Trucks?
    ooh, I really like that one, what are the specs on those again? Do most of them come with V8s? What kinda transfer case would that have, and is the rear axle offset or centered? Do you think it would tow well? It wouldn't be to short would it?

You see something like that would work nice. Room for my gear and my dogs, a place to sleep in the back if the weather gets bad, etc. And it seems relatively simple to build. A little lift, some used tired, and I could build all the bumpers and stuff. What kinda price range would we be looking at for one of those is somewhat decent shape?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    ooh, I really like that one, what are the specs on those again? Do most of them come with V8s? What kinda transfer case would that have, and is the rear axle offset or centered? Do you think it would tow well? It wouldn't be to short would it?

You see something like that would work nice. Room for my gear and my dogs, a place to sleep in the back if the weather gets bad, etc. And it seems relatively simple to build. A little lift, some used tired, and I could build all the bumpers and stuff. What kinda price range would we be looking at for one of those is somewhat decent shape?
    I hate you... I now have visions dancing around in my head of Chevy P30 step vans, my current blazer's drive terrain minus the tires, and a new body all making love together in harmony and some unlucky bastard buying my F150...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

They bought it originally for $1500. AMC 360, D44 front and Rear, no idea on the T-case or tranny. But it could be a TH400, TF727, T-18A, etc. with a D20 or NP208 for the manuals. Good drivetrain info here: http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.shtml

Pre-78s had the 401 available as well, but they're a little harder to find.

Cherokees tow decently they say, Grand Wagoneers tow better because they have swaybars and such, J-Trucks have a 10-20" greater wheelbase, so they'd probably be the best at towing.

I'm also kinda searching for a Cherokee right now on the cheap, and I've seen them have all sorts of prices, from $500 to $20,000. The IFSJA site is probably your best bet for finding one for a good price next to Craigslist.

Cherokees were the ones posted above, Grand Wagoneers look like this, had four doors, ran until 1991, had the bling wood panels, and are probably the easiest to find in good condition. Cherokees were 2-door (some 4 door models also, but they're less common), and ran until 1983. J-Trucks ended sometime in the mid-80s if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    I hate you... I now have visions dancing around in my head of Chevy P30 step vans, my current blazer's drive terrain minus the tires, and a new body all making love together in harmony and some unlucky bastard buying my F150...

yeah, I'm bad about stuff like this. I let my mind start to wonder, and suddenly I come up with some crazy idea and I run with it. For the most part my ideas never make it beyond being an idea, but sometimes they do.

I think since this semester started I've designed and priced a rear 4 link for the buggy, heavily researched and designed a couple of light weight dedicated trailer ideas, figured out how to 6 lug a front D60 for cheap, figured out how to build my own toyota hysteer steering arms, and god knows what else.

some good info there, TexTJ209. I'm really begining to like these things. A 360 with an auto would be sweet. A few quick questions though. Thye're sprung under in the front, but over in the back? And which ones do they consider wide track, and which ones are wide track? How wide are these?

Hmm, I just remember where there is a J20 with a semi float D60 in the back of it.

No idea on whether the rear is SUA or SOA, but for W/T vs. N/T easiest way to determine is the fender flares.

Narrow:

Wide:

The Wide-trac Cherokees have the big fender flares, while the Narrow-Tracs dont. Of course some people swap em out...

Im thinking something like a 4" difference in axle width for W/Ts..can't remember for sure though.

Heres one for $450 in Dallas that may still be available.

http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb....c;f=1;t=014448

yeah, I just saw that one a few minutes ago while surfing the fsj site.

say if you had 2-3K cash to spend, what how good of one do you think you could find?

do you remember what the actual width of a wide track or a narrow track is? I think the waggy axle the toy guys like to use is 61 inches, but I don't know what you would consider it. I hate to keep asking these questions. Normally I would searh pirate and get all the info I need, but thier search is done and I'm not finding the info I want on google.

I think one of those with a V8 and a auto would be a good start. Then replace the rear D44 with a 14 bolt, change the front to 8 lug, grab some H2 wheels and some 35s, and I would be set (probably broke as well).

it also looks like the wide track wheel openings are alot larger than the narrow track

I think they're like 63-65" in the Front, no idea for sure though. Waggys are considered a N/T. Yet another good info page: http://members.cox.net/tadsal/WMS

For $2-3k I think you could get a damn nice rig if you shop around a bit. Cherokees have been hard to find for sale period, the J-Trucks I've found for sale have been pretty crappy, but cheap. Waggys have been in the best shape as theyve all been mid-80s trucks.

Ah, one thing to consider though is that the newer Waggys have Quadratrac, a fulltime-4wd system with hard to find parts. That and anything you buy will probably get 11mpg or less going downhill, unless rebuilt and modified.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Hey I know a guy with something like that...
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    Hey I know a guy with something like that...
    yes, but there's only one thing i want from it and yours doesn't have it
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I'm pretty sure that last night I used mode 5 on the chip for the first time after going to 4" exhaust and taking the exh. backpressure valve out to try to find my zero to 60 time.

Totally smoked the clutch.

There goes the weakest link.

That is all.

You are aware that the wagoneer was carbed until it deceased in 1991. Have you ever seen under the hood of one. Well just think what engineers had to do in 1991 to make a carbed 360 pass emissions. There are a gazillion vacuum hoses and enough power robbing smog equpment along w/ a smog tune to make this glorius heavy ass machine produce around a whopping 160 hp. Also don't forget that they get around 8-12 mpg. Those things are awesome! And if your lucky you can find one w/ quadratec and a vacuum operated transfer case...the BW 1339