Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: tow rig/mild 4x4/daily driver

yah whats the deal with pirates search function?

fbronco86
    Sell you new toyota pickup and buy a chevy 1/2 ton with a 5.3. Then you get a new truck and dont have to worry about it breaking down. More than likely that is going to be my next truck after I get done driving my ole ford into the ground a little bit more cause I am a jew.

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    You are aware that the wagoneer was carbed until it deceased in 1991. Have you ever seen under the hood of one. Well just think what engineers had to do in 1991 to make a carbed 360 pass emissions. There are a gazillion vacuum hoses and enough power robbing smog equpment along w/ a smog tune to make this glorius heavy ass machine produce around a whopping 160 hp. Also don't forget that they get around 8-12 mpg. Those things are awesome! And if your lucky you can find one w/ quadratec and a vacuum operated transfer case...the BW 1339
    Yeah, thats why I first recommended Cherokees, as most of them are old enough to be emissions exempt, so you can strip most of it off. Quadratracs suck and the cones for them are near impossible to find. Most of the FSJ guys acutally LIKE Quadratrac though, as they consider it to be a good t-case once ya ditch the vacuum operated crap, and take good care of it. The Quadratrac BW1339 was only available from 1973-1979, which aren't the Wagoneers we were talking about. Late 80s Waggys came with the NP208 behind the TF727 or the TF999, with some NP229s and NP228s thrown in for good measure.

Here are the HP ratings for all the 360s by year, the emissions raped versions do have ****ty horsepower. Most people seem happy with them after some engine mods.
    http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/engines.shtml

A Waggy would be the easiest to find, but they'd probably require the most work. For the $2-3k price range, you could find an FSJ thats in decent shape for cheap, then spend the rest of the money getting rid of some of the crappy stock parts, and probably put GM EFI on it for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209
    Here are the HP ratings for all the 360s by year, the emissions raped versions do have ****ty horsepower. Most people seem happy with them after some engine mods.
    http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/engines.shtml
    I never thought I had the chance to say it but my Rover, powered by the mighty 4.2L (262ci) v-8, would kick the **** out of a waggy as a daily driver/towing.
    I think that is funny! 144HP in the 1991 version of the AMC 360!...and the torque ratings are no better. my orig 3.5L was rated at 170hp in 1987/1988 and they are considered way underpowered.
    By the time you buy a decent newer one and put a decent motor in it will would have more money in it than it will ever be worth. Waggy's are one of those trucks (like scouts/rovers) that will never bring a lot of money. I wouldn't sink a lot of money in something that is a DD (i.e. a consumable) that you will probably get rid of after it is worn out/something better comes along.

we have an 83 wagoneer that we used to use for towing the boat and other stuff (it'll probably be my trail rig once i get some money/time) but anyways it would pull the boat like it wasnt even there, given it was only a 20ft boat but still, it did a good job. The heaviest load we pulled with it was a skid steer (bobcat) and that was a bit of a strain but thats also one heavy son of a *****.

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    I never thought I had the chance to say it but my Rover, powered by the mighty 4.2L (262ci) v-8, would kick the **** out of a waggy as a daily driver/towing.
    I think that is funny! 144HP in the 1991 version of the AMC 360!...and the torque ratings are no better. my orig 3.5L was rated at 170hp in 1987/1988 and they are considered way underpowered.
    By the time you buy a decent newer one and put a decent motor in it will would have more money in it than it will ever be worth. Waggy's are one of those trucks (like scouts/rovers) that will never bring a lot of money. I wouldn't sink a lot of money in something that is a DD (i.e. a consumable) that you will probably get rid of after it is worn out/something better comes along.
    Yeah, 144HP out of a 360 is pretty damn rediculous. But just like Scouts and Rovers, its not about how good the vehicle is in the end, its the damn crazy owners that will always put money into them because they like the vehicle. One of the main reasons I like FSJs is how often do you see one driving down the road? Almost never. Same thing with Scouts and the older Rovers, you never see them on the road...they're unique, which makes 'em friggin cool no matter how inefficient and costly they are in the end.

True Hollywood Stry
    just my opinion i think the waggy would be a bad daily driver/tow truck. the milage is gonna suck, and your still messing with a damn carbed truck.

But they are very well built, i have beat the ever loving piss out of mine at my deerlease, and it still keeps on going, i actaully like the quadra trac system in it, for the purposes i use mine for. I've taken it to the beach, and it did really good as well.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209
    One of the main reasons I like FSJs is how often do you see one driving down the road? Almost never. Same thing with Scouts and the older Rovers, you never see them on the road...they're unique, which makes 'em friggin cool no matter how inefficient and costly they are in the end.
    By your logic is a Ford Pinto cool too?

Why dont you want IFS in a DD? Arent they supposed to ride well and be reliable?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Sell you new toyota pickup and buy a chevy 1/2 ton with a 5.3. Then you get a new truck and dont have to worry about it breaking down. More than likely that is going to be my next truck after I get done driving my ole ford into the ground a little bit more cause I am a jew.
    why? I can't figure out why everyone keeps saying to buy a chevy 1/2 ton. If I want to keep making payments, I'll would just keep my toyota. Yeah, its not the greatest to tow with, but it gets the job done. The toyota is a much better looking truck, and it keeps its value much better, so I see no reason to give it up for something like that. I could see giving it up for a 3/4 superduty or dodge, or perhaps trying to trade my truck in on a V6 toyota pickup though, but like I said, one of the big reasons I'm considering doing something like this is because the payments are killing me

As for the FSJ's faults, I know they are many, thats why I'm still thinking this over. I wouldn't make any kind of move until I get my tax return, and that is still a ways off

just sell/trade the taco for an iforce v8 tundra?

sas the front if you must and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    By your logic is a Ford Pinto cool too?

Why dont you want IFS in a DD? Arent they supposed to ride well and be reliable?

FSJs tend to not explode. Catch fire..yes. Explode..no.
    But to some people...a Pinto might be cool, who knows.

And he wants a mild trail rig as well, meaning **** IFS.

The IFSJA guys report 15mpg or more from 360s that have been rebuilt and modified, it all just depends on how much you have/want to spend. My DD already gets 13mpg highway on a good day, so it wouldn't cost me any different.

However, is an FSJ the best rig for the role? No. But it can decently fit the role for a good price.

IFS SUCKS, only straight axles for the hardcore mild trail rigs. better get a dana 60... well at least a dana 50, balljoints should be ok for mild trail use, right?

Haha...yeah. I'm sure it'd be fine, I just don't like IFS.

there is nothing wrong with ifs. its not meant for crawling rocks or bull**** like that. why in the hell would you want to wheel you tow rig

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5