Thread: help!

help!

alright so i walked out to my car today and it wont fire. Turns over fine i just dont think its getting any spark. If someone could come out and help test it that would be sweet.

edit: dont have any tools either, theyre all in my dorm and i dont feel like carrying that heavy ass tool box across campus.

phone: 281.615.2792

are the injectors firing? (test light will let you know)

does your power steering reservoir leak? if it does, it probably took out the ICM. Thats what mine did.

lucas sucks

Went out there and it fired up. Didnt have a test light with me to try it when it didnt work but i tried it this time and it worked. I guess it decided to heal itself. Ill still check out the power steering fluid thing though, maybe its just beginning to effect it. Where is the ICM? anyways thinks for the info

its right under the steering reservoir on the drivers side of the radiator bolted to a heat sink. Next to the coil.

They are really expensive to replace, but you can rewire it to use a GM ICM which is what I did.

alright ill check that. But how would that leak cause the ICM to go out, its not conductive right?

i dont know, but mine leaked and my icm died

are you using stock rover plug wires? the coil terminal on the stock lucas cap seems to be a little bigger than the standard cap size for every other vehicle in existance, so if you use aftermarket wires the coil wire might work itself loose if its not seated on there really tight. I had that problem with moroso wires.

I'm just throwing these ideas out there based on what mine has done, you really need to figure out if its got spark or fuel when this problem happens. if you get fuel but no spark, its not your icm since it triggers the injectors. if its no fuel, it could be any number of things like a loose ecm plug, corrosion on some of the wiring connectors, fuel pump could be on its way out.

heat kills them

just replaced the plug wires. When it wouldnt start i could still hear the fuel pump kick on, so unless its something later on in the fuel system, it is getting gas. I couldnt test the spark at the time since i didnt have a test light but i have one now and it shows that they are firing. Im back at home now but ill be back up in college station tomorrow and take another look at it.

Just because the fuel pump makes a sound doesn't mean it's working. I had a very strange problem with my fuel system on a spring break trip to Las Cruces a few years ago.

On the way, it started to act like it would run out of gas, problem was it had over half a tank. It would run, but only when filled over 3/4's full. So we dropped the gas tank replaced the fuel filter, but not that pump. Directly connected the pump to the battery and spun like a champ. Installed tank and off we went. Finished the drive to las cruces, wheeled the entire time, and on the way home we stopped at my brothers inlaws ranch near marathon. Drove all around there and even wheeled. Two days later while still at the ranch I went to try and jump start a bobcat, while driving to the bobcat it died and never started again. So started the process over and dropped the fuel tank. Figured out the fuel pump had been shedding impellers and clogging the fuel filter. This was not a parts store brand fuel pump, it was a AC Delco that was probably 2-3 years old.

P.S. thansk for the story grandpa!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

well i beleve on your fuel rail there is a schrader valve that you can take a pressure reading off of. it should be btween 38 PSI. I betting it is either the p/u in the dizzy or the ICM like flem said.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    it should be btween 38 PSI.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."