Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 74 Toyota Hilux 4x4

74 Toyota Hilux 4x4

I am trying to find some information about this truck. its a 74 toyota 4x4 limited edition. Haven't had much luck finding anything on it.

Really trying to figure out if it is worthwhile or not
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I think it's gotta be a special import or a landcruiser. I think yota trucks in the US were 4x2 until 79. Probably not worth building unless you really like the body. Motor's probably an 18rc (?) and tranny's probably an oddball 4-speed. Don't have a clue about the axles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

It could be one of 2 things. One, it could be a truck with a cab similar in some ways to the first generation toyota 4x4 trucks. If it is, and the conversion is not a hack job, then I think it should have a landcruiser front axle. These are semi rare, and like eric said the engine would be a 18R with a 4 speed and who knows what kinda t-case.

Or, since its that old, it could be a toyota stout. These were very cool, small and ugly trucks. If the cab was in decent shape I would think it would be cool to build for the uniqueness factor.

Find pics of it if you can

here's an interesting page, looks pretty accurate
    http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Article...tory_truck.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

just checked, and its not old enough to be a stout

well its a friend of mine's uncle's truck. I am going to go look at it and if I can get a good price on it buy it. The main thing that I am looking for is if the axles are worth anything. Ill research more and get pictures
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"

well its got round headlights and drum brakes all around. I am going to go look at it next week and check it out.

if its drum brakes alll around, then I'm pretty sure its old landcruiser stuff. If thats the case, I would leave it, since you'll want to replace those. There is just not much you'll be able to retain if you want to build it.

But if you really do like it, I know where a set of heavily built toy axles that you can buy are
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 03-08-2006 at 01:41 AM.

but what landcruiser stuff would it be, FJ40?

how much for said axles?

yes, fj40 if they are from a landcruiser.

As for the built toyota axles, I have to add it up, but I would guess it would be more than you want to spend. 85 toyota axles front and rear, 4.88s, spool rear, detriot front, Hipinion FJ-80 front diff, 30 spline longfields, crossover steering with hydro assist, ARP knuckle & hub studs, as well a bunch of spare parts

yeah, those sounds familiar, more than I would want to spend, can't you build fj40 stuff pretty well.

well, sorta. I'm sure one of the cruiser guys will jump in and give you more info. To ditch the drums up front, you will need the knuckles out from a mini truck axle. This will give you disc brakes, as well as let you use minitruck high steer arms (I don't know if they make arms for the axle you have, or for stock FJs). Once you swap the knuckles, they're basically the same axle other than the diff. The lancruiser R&P is larger, but is known to be weak. I think there is something about different spline counts on LC pinions as well. As for the rear axle, I don't know what you would have. Most likely if its stock, its small and weak, and if its from a LC, its offset. Same thing with the T-case. I don't think it will be like the ones you find in normal toyota 4x4s, which means there may be no doubler or lower gear options out there

For the front you would have to do what chris said with the mini truck knuckles. This would get rid of the weak ass course spline birfs and replace them with the mini truck fine spline stuff. The 3rd members are stronger except for the pinion is a course spline and will suck. If you regear though then the new r&p set will be fine spline and a lot stronger.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

ok, well thats sounds ok, What about the rear axle

so here is what I got right now
    Mini truck nuckles (marlin 6 bolt?)
    longs
    New ring and pinion(s)
    SOA