Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frame Repair

Frame Repair

The years have finally taken a toll on my truck's frame, producing a 3" long crack behind the driver's radius arm drop bracket.

What's the proper way to fix this? From what I've understood I need to drill a hole at the end of the crack to relieve the stress there and keep the crack from continuing. Also I need to grind a groove along the crack to give the weld something to flow into. But should I do this on both sides or just the outside? The crack is very close to the body mount rivets so I dont think I could plate the inside of the frame, but I do think I can box the frame to help strengthen the frame in the in the drop bracket area. Any other ideas?
    BDR

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Proper way to fix it, get a new frame

Pilot hole drilling will stop the crack... To weld it you need to gouge it or grind it till there is no trace of the crack, then weld it. After welding I would stress relieve by letting the metal cool very slowly, maybe some sort of thermal wrap or slow cool with a torch

That being said, after doing all that I would scab a piece of plate over it, for added strength, my experience with cracks is they just keep coming back...
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

don't scrap it, j-b weld it

it looks like if you welded a brace or a gusset in there it would help alot
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    nice crack.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

i guess mid 90s f-150 frames had some problems. both your frame and seths are cracking. drilling the crack and grinding a small gap or bevel seems like the way to fix it

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

don't forget tate
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

i didnt know tates is cracked too. that sucks

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

tates is not anymore, thats why he did a frame off. so he could get a new frame...

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    Proper way to fix it, get a new frame

Pilot hole drilling will stop the crack... To weld it you need to gouge it or grind it till there is no trace of the crack, then weld it. After welding I would stress relieve by letting the metal cool very slowly, maybe some sort of thermal wrap or slow cool with a torch

That being said, after doing all that I would scab a piece of plate over it, for added strength, my experience with cracks is they just keep coming back...
    really after welding you should probably heat the area up with a torch and let the whole area cool down. I would also ping it with a ballpin hammer to relieve stress.

What's the deal with stress relieving using the ball-peen hammer? Do I do it when the area is heated or when it's cold? And any special way of doing it or just smack it a bunch of times?

Karl-I had thought about trying to do a little heat treat like you are talking about, but i'm not sure how I could insulate that part of the frame to slow the cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    it looks like if you welded a brace or a gusset in there it would help alot
    I'm planning on boxing the frame. I'm also thinking about making a brace that connects the back of the two radius arms together at the retaining nut.
    BDR

Don't worry about this heating and shot peening crap. Just drill little stop holes past where you think the crack ends, grind into the crack, and put a good weld into it. You can preheat if you'd like, that's more improtant than trying to slow the cooling, because by preheating you greatly slow the cooling of the weld because it is not cooled as quickly by the surrounding cold metal. And don't weld it too hot. If you're not comfortable welding it, I'll weld it for you if you turn the truck over.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Kopeki hit on the most important thing of this project. If you are not comfortable weldiing it, get some one that is. It takes better than average skill to get this right. Numerous frames, various pieces of farm equipment, and plenty of structural welding have taught me that you have to do it right. If not, it will crack again, or will pass the stress on elsewhere and start another one. Good luck with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

BDR, I'd let a professional do it...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I saw CDR on the motorcycle today. She was behind me at a redlight and I saw a yellow windshield sticker in my mirror. Turned around and waved, at first she didn't know who I was at and looked behind her. I waved again and then she looked at me like i was a registered sex offender. After a couple seconds she realized it was my goofy ass.
    1988 Blazer...RIP