Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast from da Middle East

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Something I just got to thinking about, even as hot as the headers got, the engine was super easy to keep kool. Most times when it had set a while it would take forever to even get the temp gauge to break 160 degrees. Wouldn't a lean mix pour heat to the engine also?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    I don't get why the boiling clutch fluid would allow you to drive it at all. Wouldn't the expansion be equivalent to a constantly depressed clutch?

and my armchair diagnosis (from a thousand miles away) doesn't like the lean idea either. I thought glowing headers with the occasional backfire was usually indicative of a rich condition.
    Maybe it boiled it on the feed side of the line creating the mush pedal? As much trouble as I have had w/ that setup, it 'miraculously' started working again (at least partially). It's enough to give a young man gray hair.

The collectors rattling loose twice didn't help us diagnosing the backfire either.
    'Cause if she don't,

lowballing someone
    r u ever gonna pick up ur motor or do i get to keep it....
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

I am working on the logistics of that right now. I just ran completely out of time. How hard is it going to be to get to it and does it have any chains on it?
    'Cause if she don't,

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    Something I just got to thinking about, even as hot as the headers got, the engine was super easy to keep kool. Most times when it had set a while it would take forever to even get the temp gauge to break 160 degrees. Wouldn't a lean mix pour heat to the engine also?
    yeah, lean is hot in the cylinders, rich is cool in the cylinders. good indicator.

well just as the O2 said before it stopped working due to heat, it is running ****ing rich.

I think 80lb weren't big enough for a stock 454 so Chebby messed with the VE tables to make it sort of work.

Compare the stock 454 to the 350 Calculated VE table and see the difference. A ****ty headed 80s 454 did not have 101% VE.

Its running close to that fuel table but with a fuel supply that doesnt starve at the RPMs where it gets above 80% or so, the result is way too much fuel.

1 of the problems is a minimum pulsewidth for the injector to open. I don't know the value, but I think it somewhere around 1.2 mS. At low RPM and manifold pressure the min pluse with is higher than the commanded pulsewidth. Really rich AFRs result. I don't think the engine really ever spends any time in this region of the MAP, but there is some sacraficing in keeping the min pulse width spec and the injector duty cycle in spec. It might need injectors in the 40lb/hr range. Need to drink on this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by robertf03; 06-28-2010 at 05:05 PM.

fixed an error

so every stock GM 454 bin I've found is tabled for at least 370 HP, neat.
    Attached Files Attached Files

sweet. i can't wait to see this motor run great
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

lowballing someone
    its on my engine stand at my old house. don't remember if it has a chain. there is also the tire for creighton and his propane tank. its not realy in the way but i know my brother (not brian) wouldn't mind it gone. are you still stateside? btw there is no way to lift it at the house. i'm completely moved out and now live in houston
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

so it was running like **** at the competition, and its been running like **** since its return. Checked it out and found that its been running in limp home mode due to a corrupt eprom. I don't know when it started, but it was sometime after it left. UV light erases these things. Maybe some welding light got through the duct tape, or it was x-rayed. I don't know, but this is probably why it ran like asshole in california.

Today I repinned the ecm connectors and swapped to a '427 ecm. Its a 94/95 ecm, almost a decade newer than the 1227747 that I think every tbi vehicle in the club has been using. It fires right up on the stock bin, but still runs rough, needs tuning and the 350 injectors reinstalled.

Should be promising, the definition files for the '427 are a little rough, so I'm having to do some research to figure out how to turn off gayness like knock sensors and egr codes. The new ecm can use eeprom (flash rom, prom, whatever) so there is no window for UV light to **** things up.
    Last edited by robertf03; 07-16-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Can someone copy the vin down of the beast? My registration papers don't have the correct one on it I believe.

EDIT: Nevermind, found a 78 truck vin decoder and it looks to be correct now.
    Last edited by DRAGOONRANCH; 09-22-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    'Cause if she don't,

bosch 044

lick my love pump
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Do they carry that at Napa? E8248s are supposed to flow pretty well and be available.

To my knowledge the Bosch 044 is not available at Napa. The Airtex E8248 is available at O'reillys and Advance and is a little cheaper but is a PITA to adapt to AN fittings due to the permanently attached hose barb on the outlet side. I em running the 8248 in Pigpen but I might switch to the 044 whenever I get around to upgrayedding my fuel system.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    To my knowledge the Bosch 044 is not available at Napa. The Airtex E8248 is available at O'reillys and Advance and is a little cheaper but is a PITA to adapt to AN fittings due to the permanently attached hose barb on the outlet side. I em running the 8248 in Pigpen but I might switch to the 044 whenever I get around to upgrayedding my fuel system.
    you sure its not a quick connect? if it is a barb, cut off the barb and put a compression fitting on it. its a barb on the high pressure side?