Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast from da Middle East

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    i wouldnt call that scrub radius but point taken.
    What would you call it then? I can see how what I said might have been confusing but what I meant was that if you move the axle forward, this also moves the "bubble" inside the scrub radius of the tire forward and if the power steering box ends up inside this bubble, great. Comprende?

Quote Originally Posted by napolean2
    hey yota fags dont try and convert him, he's ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopoopipebuggy
    face it, in the end he'll see the light and he'll be one of ours
    Does this make anyone else think of Star Wars? Ed, as I've told people before, the "perfect wheelin rig" is about halfway between a fullsize and mini. You can start from either end and work your way towards the middle. It is much cheaper to start with a fullsize and cut it up and down than it is to start with a mini and extend the wheelbase make square pegs fit in round holes, etc.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Comprende?
    i said point taken didnt i?

too tired to draw it so i looked it up. i dont know what to call it, just not scrub radius. im just picky about racecar engineering terms.

same principle, this is just independent susp. on a solid axle the sai is synonymous with kingpin angle

Last edited by agjohn02; 03-11-2006 at 12:58 AM.

The "scrub radius" I am thinking of is when viewed from above, the arc the tire makes around the kingpins/balljoints. All of my edjumication in this area came from an article on one of the rags awhile back. Basically what I got out of it is ideally with perfect backspacing the center of your tire footprint does not move when you turn the wheel from lock to lock. If you decrease the backspacing it makes the tire stick out further and the centerpoint of the tire footprint makes an arc when you turn from lock to lock, effectively making it physically harder to turn. I think this is why my truck's steering works so well without hydro assist right now, I am running stock wheels so I assume I have a small scrub radius. I may try to find the article in our mountain of magazines when I get home in the morning and draw some pictures in paint.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

yeah, you pretty much got the definition of scrub radius. you dont have to teach me anything here, trust me. im just saying you misused the term. thats all. your scrub radius is measured in the low single digit inches. when considering if tires rub other things, scrub radius isnt something you bring into a conversation. thats is unless, you use a lot of backspacing to correct said problem and then say to yourself, "man, i just fawked my scrub radius." no big deal here, arguement is a moot point by now. you said "the center of your scrub radius" im saying thats your kingpin and no steering box is gonna fit there. get it?

10-4 dawg.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Ed, as I've told people before, the "perfect wheelin rig" is about halfway between a fullsize and mini.

kinda like a scout
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    kinda like a scout
    Yes and I was actually thinking that when I typed it out. If you can get over the stigma associated with scouts then they're great.

yeah, that's why all the comp rigs these days are going to 110"+ wheelbases...much more capable
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

scout traveller = 118" i think tons of room
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Here is a little more background on the beast. I found it in Missourri on e-bay. I could have bought a truck alot closer and in alot better shape, but then I wouldn't have been able to make the road trip to get it with my brothers. It was a helluf a trip. We left the house and headed to Buffalo, Tx. where we paid for the gooseneck I have now. We left there and headed to Pro-Trak Trailers in Wills Point to pick it up. When we got there, they told us to come back later, they were not finished and needed a few hours. When we came back the guy was bringing it out of the bay and we hooked up. The paint was still tacky and there are a few places you can still see finger prints in the paint from our oogling over it. We left there, put the Banks Six-Gun in #3, and hauled a$$ (we were about 3 hours behind schedule and still had to make it to Hot Springs). We mad good time and were averaging 8 mpg at about 85mph. We had reservations at a place called Brady Mountain Resort. It was a great place, except for coming in way after dark and the roads are windy as ****. Made it real fun pulling the 32' for the first time. We left out the next morning for Poplar Bluff, Missouri. We got there, and had to winch the truck up on the trailer (it had been parked after its last wheeling trip when they burnt the cluthc and it had been sitting for months) with my Artic Cat 650. It was a strain, but it did the job. We sure got alot of stares drivin through town hunting lunch down. We got even more as we poured the coals to it headed back to Brady Mountain. We spent a day there at the resort wheeling the 4 wheeler on the trails around there, and cooked out for lunch that day. The next morning we loaded up and shagged *** again. The first two fillups we were averaging about 6 mpg at almost 90 mph on average. The next and last was at Carl's Corner with some bio-diesel, and the numbers at that one moved up to about 7 mpg but we only averaged about 80 mph on that stretch since we had to go through the Metro-mess of I635 in Dallas. Carl's used to be the premier truckstop on 35, and you could always catch a good band on the weekends. They have tried to resore it some, and are coming along pretty well, but I fear the good ol days are gone. We stopped in Temple to meet the folks for supper and hit Vato Zone for a new carburator (They couldn't even find the old one in the system). All in all, it was a great trip and got to spend some quality time with my brothers. I don't get to see them much, so I would give this trip an A++.

We tried the nest day to jump the truck off with the new carb inplace. No luck. So we got a chain, hooked it up behing the 4-door and off we went. We finaly got it to break loose and crank, but I forgot to put the oil fill cap and air filter back on, so it was slinging oil, and before it cranked it was spittin fuel out the carb. Needless to say, the oil and gas mix hit the manifold (now that it was getting fire to it) and set it off. We jumped out, grabbed a water jug lid (jug had no water in it) and starting throwing loose gravel from the side of the road. I was wore out from the trip, getting close to having to head back to work, so we parked it, pulled the batteries, and rolled up the windows. It sat under the barn for about 4 months before I could get back to it. That is for another post though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Brady passed out
    Eric passed out
    Brady up on the Trailer
    The three musketeers
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by DRAGOONRANCH; 03-14-2006 at 02:15 AM.
    'Cause if she don't,

it said "Half Assed" on the windshield when you bought it!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

That IS a selling point!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

You couldn't see it in the e-bay pics. Like I said, it was bought partialy for the road trip involved, and I new nothin about crawlin' at the time. I sure wish I had know before, I might have held out for somethin in better shape, but what the he!!.

I called Atlas today about their new 4sp transfer case. They are wanting about $3150 for it with the adapter to the sm465. This seems like it would be a great deal with the 10.6:1 low in it. They dont have one with the 10 sp for the 465 though, so how would I go about changing this or finding out if it even has one like this, short of pulling the transfer case off?
    Last edited by DRAGOONRANCH; 03-14-2006 at 01:53 PM.
    'Cause if she don't,

Your tranny has the 10 spline output. GM switched to the 32 spline output and hydraulic clutch in 85, thats prety much your only option. 4 speed transfer case? Didnt people used to call that a non-syncronized transmission?