Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast from da Middle East

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH
    I have a line on a th400, but guess I should post up in the wanted section for a 400. Anybody got one in good shape they want to get rid of. Ill take the transfer too if ya dont want to seperate it. You cant ever have enough transfer cases sitting around. I will start searching for the pvc inserts, i had heard of this, but didn't know how hard they are to get ahold of.
    If you find the right combo 400/205 you're half way done with the doubler, as the 205 will have the correct input shaft.

Make sure the 400 you have a line on is 4wd. Also, I believe there is a K case that is better. I could be mistaken though, it might be for the 350. Don't know too much about that auto's since I like sticks.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    It has a 203. I am still wanting to go with the atlas IV. With the 10:1 low, kinda makes up for the lack of granny. I don't know why I even posted the link to the doubler here, should've gone in the "good deals".

Whats a doubler cost to build up, if you had to start from scratch?

The 400 w/ atlas and 5.13s puts me crawlin at 133:1 and w/ 4.88s at 127:1.

I think that's not to shabby, and i have a 33:1 and 46:1 in the two medium atlas gears. Just right for scootin down a trail. And running 68 at 2700rpm down the black top. It prolly wont see much of that, but it wont hurt for the short trips to town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

well, its about $50 for each case + 500 or so for the doubler, plus any new bearing or seals that you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I forgot to mention one big plus to the auto tranny issue. My little bro is going to be driving this truck too, and prolly a few other unexperienced froaders, so the auto would help out big time for that. He won't be headed to Boobicon anytime soon, but he will end up on the trails with it at times. He is learning on the 95 yota 5spd, so he is going to learn right, but the cheby will be too much for him on some climbs. He prolly wont be able to reach the pedals good enough anyways, and that manual clutch is a *****.

The tow rig is going under the knife next week, so as soon as its out, I am hoping to get some stuff started on it. I will get with my super secret/ uber doober design/build team (Team Foolsize) that has assembled for this project and see what they think. Hopefuly we will have pics and details rolling in soon. I am pretty sure the front 60 is a go, waiting on conformation on the tranny, got the rims and secure pvc centers for them this weekend. I will let the Team Foolsize take care of the suspension as they are the subject mater experts on this (and everything else for that matter). I have all the confidence that the team will come in behind schedule, over budget, and pissed off at me and will leave it in pieces in my driveway, but what the hell. Everybody has to have one of those projects now and again.

Oh yeah, jeepers ( = ) suck big hairy donkey **** Foolsizes rool
    'Cause if she don't,

btw if you are interested I have a line on a chevy 203
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I have a chevy 203, I think someone was supposed to buy it but that never happened.

Where to begin. For the sake of my fingers typing all this ****, please only as one question at a time. Here is everything you need to know about doublers and the transfer cases you need to run one.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

If you have any questions after you read that let me know. As far as the rims go, PVC beadlocks are old news. According to billavista's writeup on pirate, the performance cryogenics guys is make a steel beetlock now, it looks like a skeleton of the pvc ones and is allegedly lighter and just as strong. I wouldnt sweat over the guy keeping the magnesium beadlocks, most people burn them for fun because they will damage your tires if you run them with low PSI.

203's are only worth about $20-50, unless they are from a TH400 then they are worth about 200, even more with the adapter. The reason they are worth so much more is chevy only used the 203 behind th400's for two years in 3/4 tons in the 70s, so they are prety damn rare. I would jump on the th400/np203 combo.

A TH400's pan looks like the state of indiana, a th350's pan is a square with one corner knocked off, and a th700r4's pan is a regular square. There is no difference in any TH400 case, only th350s had the "k case" versions and I've heard that is a bunch off bull****.

A complete doubler setup with a th400 will cost you between $1500-2000 depending how much you pay for the cases. The biggest complaint most people have about chevy doublers is that they use two of the hardest to find transfer cases chevy used.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Ok, the guy is ready to ship the tranny. Where would be a good place to send it. I have never had to have a part like that shipped before.
    'Cause if she don't,

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH
    Ok, the guy is ready to ship the tranny. Where would be a good place to send it. I have never had to have a part like that shipped before.
    You mean a good carrier to ship it? Forward air is usually the cheapest if there is a terminal around. However, Karl informed you can ship big things through Grey hound very cheaply. Maybe he'll chime in.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Doug, sent ya a pm.

Thanks

I am still waiting on him to tell me who he is going to use to ship it. I should have had my grandad just go get one from gatesville. They have a pretty good setup there, or so he tells me. He picked up a tranny for my s-10 there one time. I new dealing with the rejects on pirate was gonna be a headache. Maybe this guy will come through.
    'Cause if she don't,

Ok, just found a propane set up. I figure this should be a good deal for us. My folks have 6 broiler houses for Sanderson Farms out of Bryan, and they are one of the bigest customers at the propane place. Hopefuly we can just get one of the tanks set up to fill out of, or get a big cut on the price at their pump in waco. I will have to find a good tank is all. I am not going to try to find someone to ship the old tanks, too much of a hastle.
    'Cause if she don't,

I have been scouring the net trying to find a good th400 somewhere, but I am not paying out my nose for one. By the time I find one shipped to the house, it will be entirely too much. I think I will just get it from advanced auto, the club discount there is killer. I saved a wad last time I went in (had to replace my wore out jack stands and floor jack). They have three output shaft sizes and I have no idea which one I need, any help on this? It looks like the cost will be around $850 or so before the discount. I hate to pay this much, but if I get one off of pirate, its gonna take a dump on me. That is just my luck! Well enough of my rambling tonight, I need to get some rest. Someone needs to tell these folks over here we are on their side, maybe they will quit mortaring us so we can get some sleep. ****suckers!!
    'Cause if she don't,

The ouput shaft depends on what t-case you want to run and even then on what adapter and case version.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I guess all of this would be a moot point if the new 4spd atlas had a 10 spline adapter for the 465. I guess I am being a hard headed ol fool on wanting the 4spd, but I think moving to the auto for now will be very beneficial for many reasons. The atlas is going to be one of the few big ticket items on this build, next up will be the tires and front d60. I don't know how much the shackle flip is going to be, but I figure some beer company will break into Forbe's 500 this year.
    'Cause if she don't,

If you havent seen it already yo should check out www.coloradok5.com. It has alot more chevy info than pirate and the forsale part is always prety active.