Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Big Blue TJ

Project: Big Blue TJ

I guess I'll start a thread now. I need to get a better name going but it's late and I've been drinking.

Someone asked for the specs, so I figured I'd edit so the plans would be here at the top.

Plans are to swap in a TBI 454 and NP205 from a 1991 Chevy truck. I found an NV4500 in a '92-ish Chevy 3/4 ton truck a while back, so that will be mounted between the 454 and NP205. The D60 and 14 bolt came from the same '91 truck as the motor and transfer case. One axle is under the Jeep and waiting for disc brakes and a thorough cleaning, the other is being fitted with brackets for most of the current front suspension.

I had already stripped the Jeep of everything except the brake lines and clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. The brakes will be removed soon, as they are not manly enough for 4-wheel disc brakes. As it sits, the Jeep has a grill, hood and tub with two seats and a roll cage. The roll cage could use some more work, but should be fine for now. At the very least it will need a seatbelt bar for my new harnesses. I have a Centech GV-16 wiring harness to make all the electrical voodoo work and the stock TBI harness is still attached to everything on the motor. Motor mounts will be fabbed up once it is rolling on the "new" axles and then the motor/transmission/transfer case will be swapped in. I have until this time to decide whether or not I will use a doubler or wait and buy a Stak 3-speed case. Not sure how it would like a big block, though.
    Last edited by bburris; 03-23-2006 at 03:03 AM.

I bought an ugly pile from Robert Sharpe a while back and started stripping parts with the help of a couple friends.

I had one of these sitting around that I found a while back. I sold the transfer case and cleaned the transmission up.

It will be bolted to this after I swap a 32-spline front output I got into it and put some new seals and whatnot in.

Those will both be mounted behind this behemoth.

I already had this:

and this:

sitting around, but I got something better in the deal mentioned before.

Turns out the spring pad width on a one ton Chevy is the same as what was already on the rear of my Jeep. The pinion angle is way off, but at least it can roll around easier now.
    Last edited by bburris; 08-14-2006 at 10:41 PM.

The Jeep had already been gutted, so I finished the job when it got put in the storage place. There is a body on a frame with two seats inside. The front axle and suspension are still there, but just barely - most of the bolts are at least loose.

Poor Jeep.

To quiet the naysayers, I got some help setting the motor in the engine compartment so I could get some better measurements and make sure I had room for the radiator, electric fan and oil cooler.

Last edited by bburris; 08-14-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Ugly pile my ass that truck was pristine!
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Looks like you're making good progress. Any other plans and could you list the specs?
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

If you knew what you were looking at you wouldnt need specs. You have a long way to go grasshopper.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

you forgot the fenders Brett...
    gonna be ready for TCC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    If you knew what you were looking at you wouldnt need specs. You have a long way to go grasshopper.
    I know what I'm looking at. Two Dana 60's. One's from a chevy, the other a ford, a 14FF in the rear, looks like a 205 mated to a 465, and a 350. Is that correct?
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

close, how do you tell the difference between a big block and a small block? You know this one Robbie, look closer
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

almost...454
    edit: oops too late
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

too funny!

Its a NV4500 not a 465. 2 strikes against you in one post, you're off to a prety bad start.

Thats 3 dana 60s

I only see 2 60's the third axle is a hp44