look at "project slinky blue balls" on pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    you're stupid, thats a rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02 View Post
    look at "project slinky blue balls" on pirate
    For reference:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551947&

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld View Post
    through the hood, really? just get an 18" stroke and it will for sure be stickin' through hood. roll resisance is much better with coils and if you have a real frame you can make pretty clean coil mounts much easier without having to build a complex and time consuming engine cage. plus 2.0 emulsion smooth bodies are pretty cheap, and you can alway's put a resi on it later as funds allow if you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bburris View Post
    Do you mean coils as in the same coils I have now, or coilovers?
    Paging Ryan St. John...

what's wrong with the current coils, good shocks are way more important. there are tons of different tj specific coils to choose from. I would do somthing like chris durham's latest 2 tj's. regular coils and stock boxed frames can look real clean if you take your time and integrate the coil bucket into the shock mount. I would not use coils if you had invisions of mad tube all under the hood because I really don't care for tubular coil buckets, flat plate buckets can much simpler looking and lighter.

Pulled the front axle out tonight and set the Chevy D60 in as well as Dana and I could manage.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Also, I went to Harbor Freight to grab that pair of jack stands since those are the tallest/cheapest I could find. These were on sale in their circular for $72.99, but the girl at the counter rang them up and the price came up as $25.99 so with my 15% off coupon I got them for $23.91... Almost told her to go ahead and ring up another set but I decided not to push my luck.

I'm kind of thinking about pulling the body mount bolts off so the frame can come out and I'll have easier access to cutting the rest of the old suspension mounts off. I'm really anxious to get the 60 under it so for now it seems like a good idea to put together a front leaf suspension to match the unengineered rear so it can roll and that step can be finished. Once the drivetrain is in I can worry about something besides simplicity with the suspension after it runs. Looks like the weather might be turning nice so maybe I'll start working on it a little more steadily.

Also, I tried to put the HMMWV wheels on but turns out the stock knuckle is in the way. It's been a while since I looked around but I thought these fit for some reason. Guess I'll need to get new centers or knuckles because it looks like the backspacing of the wheels would be nice to have judging by the width of both axles in proportion to the width of the body.
    Last edited by bburris; 09-16-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Ive got a set of 4 stazworks recenters for sale. 60each

will trade for a set of plastic hummer centers

cant remember which ones they are one of these 2
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Reckless; 09-16-2008 at 10:19 PM.

you can look at my build to see how i recentered. the width is just right in my mind. if you stay narrow, you'll rub the frame with the tires. i did a lot of staring and measuring before i made my decision.

It was more of an observation than anything else, but I'll take a look at your wheels for reference. Even if I got it rolling on four tires it's not like it's a high priority project for now... Blake's YJ didn't rub unless he was at full lock/compression so I guess I thought it would work as they are.

Rowdy, I haven't looked at pattern choices in a while but I'll try to check out Pirate... The one on the left looks pretty good.

stazworks has some neat ones and copperhead fab can do what ever ya want. I just got these in a trade and have no use for them

Good deal, I'll check those guys out.

if you decide you want the stock bs, you can cut the stock arm off of the knuckle and run high steer with the correct arms. hubs are gonna stick out and theres no way you'll get shocks between the frame and tire in the rear.

if its a trail only jeep, spacers would be the easy way out. steel preferrably.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02 View Post
    if you decide you want the stock bs, you can cut the stock arm off of the knuckle and run high steer with the correct arms. hubs are gonna stick out and theres no way you'll get shocks between the frame and tire in the rear.
    Looked at that and thought about it but I'd get some aftermarket knuckles before I did that after seeing a few broken stock ones. I'd prefer not to introduce any additional reason for these to fail eventually...

if its a trail only jeep, spacers would be the easy way out. steel preferrably.
    That's not going to happen.