Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: SAS: Towelie-Ban Truck

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    And what are some decent brands of dial indicator and which ones should I avoid.

Unless someone else has the tools and the know-how, I'm going to attempt the gear/locker install by myself since no one volunteered to help.
    when are you going to do this? I don't have the tools, other than normal sockets and ****, but if I can I'll try to help since I'm also interested in learning how to do this

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    when are you going to do this? I don't have the tools, other than normal sockets and ****, but if I can I'll try to help since I'm also interested in learning how to do this
    As soon as I get the knuckles off and rotated and get the axle cleaned up and painted, I'll throw the 4.56's in there with the lock right.

Also, anyone ever busted an inner c? I figure if I've ever going to replace one, I might as well do it now, since I'm taking them off to rotate them. I'm not even sure what kind of force would allow for an inner c to bust, but a couple of the build-ups of 44's I've seen involved crane's inner c's. If it matters, this 44 will probably be built up quite a bit in the future, but I'm just starting off mild. Shafts, and ctms will be added soonish along down the line most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by RCook527
    cen-tech stuff seems to be cheaper and pretty good. you got a lunchbox locker right? they aren't too hard, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine

It's not the locker I'm worried about. I've done that before, never touched a set of gears though.

Crane inner cs are cool. Perhaps "bling" if you will. That's about all they'll get you.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    As soon as I get the knuckles off and rotated and get the axle cleaned up and painted, I'll throw the 4.56's in there with the lock right.

Also, anyone ever busted an inner c? I figure if I've ever going to replace one, I might as well do it now, since I'm taking them off to rotate them. I'm not even sure what kind of force would allow for an inner c to bust, but a couple of the build-ups of 44's I've seen involved crane's inner c's. If it matters, this 44 will probably be built up quite a bit in the future, but I'm just starting off mild. Shafts, and ctms will be added soonish along down the line most likely.

I've never seen one broken, and really never heard of it happening. Knuckles, yes, but not the C's. Quite honestly, if you think you're gonna need that kinda beef, why not save the money and just get a D60?

I've never seen one broken, and really never heard of it happening. Knuckles, yes, but not the C's. Quite honestly, if you think you're gonna need that kinda beef, why not save the money and just get a D60?
    Don't know that I need them, just asking opinions. I think I've heard of one or two guys busting their inners in all of the reading I've done about sas's, so I guess I'll pass on those. The crane outers are pretty f'ing pimp tho...

yeah, I'll agree they are nice, but like everything else they cost. Thats why I did the D60 this time. I figure if I was gonna keep dumping money into axle upgrades, I may as well start out with something beefy, so I wouldn't kick myself later for just polishing another turd. Now granted, the toy axles always worked well for me, but I'll be happy if I never have to tear another one of those greasy bastards apart again.

yeah, I'll agree they are nice, but like everything else they cost. Thats why I did the D60 this time. I figure if I was gonna keep dumping money into axle upgrades, I may as well start out with something beefy, so I wouldn't kick myself later for just polishing another turd. Now granted, the toy axles always worked well for me, but I'll be happy if I never have to tear another one of those greasy bastards apart again.

Well I couldnt justify the size or the initial cost of a 60... I ****ing hate Lou Corso, that stupid son of a *****, someone please kill him so he'll stop putting on mascot heads... so I just went with the 44. With minimal upgrades, it should be more than able to stand up to 35/37" rubber, especially since I'm light on the skinny pedal.

Also, I was looking at building some sliders, but Trail-Gear has some 78" tube sliders for sale for 199 shipped, so I'm thinking it might be cheaper just to buy these, since I have no experience bending tube and havent acquired a welder yet. Thoughts?

199 shipped isn't a bad deal, I would go that route, esp if you are short on time and tools
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

this project also involves me building up my tool collection so I can someday stop using everyone elses stuff...

so, today I stopped by sears and picked up this

And I never got a pic of my bike up, so while I'm posting this, here she/he/it is

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    How is the bike running?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

How did I know you'd be asking about the bike?

It's running well, I still need to get it cleaned up and polished, and I still should probably mess with the valves a little bit to quiet it down, and ofcouse there's a lot I'd like to do to it, but it gets me to and from school everyday. I hardly drive my truck anymore, only when it's wet or I need to pick something up. I think I've put close to 700 miles on the bike since I've had it, so that's 700 miles I've saved from my truck, and parking is a helluva lot better.

Anyone have any experiences with these crafstman compressors? I kind of bought it on a whim, like the bike, but I read a couple of good reviews about it. The tank is big enough that it should handle any kind of work I want to do, short of sanding, and I'm not sure how long it would be able to support a drill.

I had one in high school and it was great, just watch out for dirt dobbers, they love craftsman for some reason?

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    what is the cfm rating on that compressor
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901