Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pure IH Performance

I never have never thought IH and Performance would be lumped in the same sentence
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    If they came out with some aftermarket heads you could probably make decent power from an IH.
    I found this....and yes, these are Rear Wheel numbers....through a 727, a Dana 20, and a 44 rear. That's probably good for somewhere about 20-25% parasitic loss. The numbers aren't too bad for a modified stock head piece of farm equipments.

Quote Originally Posted by someihguy
    Finally got the new motor/tranny mounts worked out on one of my project Scout IIs and I took it on down the road for some dyno tuning on the current setup.

Current setup starts with a 392, bored out .060 over. Add to that a set of ported, polished and decked 392 heads. The cam is a custom grind. Pistons are Ross Racing forged pistons. Crank has been knife edged. Dry sump oil system. Speed Demon 750 carb. Headers are custom 2" primaries - 37" long. Headers feed 2.75" dual exhaust (x-pipe configuration). Mallory distributor. MSD 6AL spark controller. Everything balanced.

Anywho - I had forgotten to fill up the fuel cell before I left so the runs were done on 93 octane pump gas. Peak horsepower was right at 405 and torque stayed a respectable 463 ft/lbs. Will have to go over the rest of the numbers from todays runs and take a look at changes to the intake and exhaust as well as possible work on the heads to get them flowing a bit better.

BTW - the weight is so low because I still have no body on the Scout - just the frame and cage, firewall and floor to bolt my seat to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    Do you even think before you type anymore?

what does that mean ass hat?

I meant what I stated, based on the tunability i have seen with Jordons use of LT1-edit and the mods available, I think it would be a much better way to go than the TBI crap. It would also be quite a bit cheaper than Edelbrock or some sort of stand alone. Basically mill out the center and make an adapter for a TB and such.

I can get you some pics Fred if you can't envision it

no, actually, I was stating the fact that you're a ****ing idiot if you think you can adapt an LT1 computer onto an IH motor with ease. The LT1 uses a 8 notch timing disc and a 360 degree timing disc to refrence crankshaft position. This unit is otherwise known as the opti-spark and is not easily adaptable. I think a Vortec computer would be a much easier computer to use if you wanted to put MPI on something. As far as adapting a throttle body onto a carb manifold, it is done everyday using square bore carb manifolds and throttle bodies that bolt on using the carb pattern, no machining required. So yeah, I asked if you even read what you type anymore, or just spew off a series of words you've overheard or seen in hotrod while looking at the pretty pictures.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackasic
    what does that mean ass hat?

I meant what I stated, based on the tunability i have seen with Jordons use of LT1-edit and the mods available, I think it would be a much better way to go than the TBI crap. It would also be quite a bit cheaper than Edelbrock or some sort of stand alone. Basically mill out the center and make an adapter for a TB and such.

I can get you some pics Fred if you can't envision it

why mill it out. just make an adapter or use a tb like he has on that engine on the stand. then you gotta put in a cam sensor that gives a signal like optispark, map, maf, tp,... itd be way too much work for a 345.

edit: fred beat me to it. oh yeah, and he's an @$$

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    no, actually, I was stating the fact that you're a ****ing idiot if you think you can adapt an LT1 computer onto an IH motor with ease. The LT1 uses a 8 notch timing disc and a 360 degree timing disc to refrence crankshaft position. This unit is otherwise known as the opti-spark and is not easily adaptable. I think a Vortec computer would be a much easier computer to use if you wanted to put MPI on something. As far as adapting a throttle body onto a carb manifold, it is done everyday using square bore carb manifolds and throttle bodies that bolt on using the carb pattern, no machining required. So yeah, I asked if you even read what you type anymore, or just spew off a series of words you've overheard or seen in hotrod while looking at the pretty pictures.
    OWNED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

yes, tpi or vortec contol with bank fire would be much easier

I just look at the pretty pictures, Hot-Rod kicks ass!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So school me on international engines. Did they ever use AMC motors? I have heard all IH motors are prety much turds power wise, is this true? The reason I ask is my next project is going to be the 63 IH truck I have and I havent looked too closely but I believe it has a V8. I was thinking I'd like to do a street rod theme with it, and was considering swapping a cadillac 500 in, just cause I can.
    There is a caddy with a 500 in my driveway, ill pay you to take it off my hands as long as the owner doesnt find out (my roommate)
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55
    There is a caddy with a 500 in my driveway, ill pay you to take it off my hands as long as the owner doesnt find out (my roommate)
    That can be arranged It can disappear into the blackhole of south texas with all the rest of the junk cars in the country.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

who reads hot rod? thats for queer Jeep parts guys to beat off to

point is oh angry one, i would like investigate other efi options, other tha tbi and and AL would make that easier. It seems that cam timing is the only large hang up for using lt1 efi, but a machiest friend of mine said he could build me a solution if it came to that.. I have also looked into Hal-tech and Fast for efi option.

anything that is added on is going to take addaption, for the sensors to gain info. just depends which way you want go.
    Last edited by Jackasic; 04-19-2006 at 04:56 PM.

hey brandon, why don't take a crack at building an EFI system first, then decide what is easy and what will work instead of coaching from the peanut gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackasic
    who reads hot rod? thats for queer Jeep parts guys to beat off to

point is oh angry one, i would like investigate other efi options, other tha tbi and and AL would make that easier. It seems that cam timing is the only large hang up for using lt1 efi, but a machiest friend of mine said he could build me a solution if it came to that.. I have also looked into Hal-tech and Fast for efi option.

anything that is added on is going to take addaption, for the sensors to gain info. just depends which way you want go.

Please dont anger the chevy gods, i may need to call upon them again some day
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55
    Bring extra lug nuts and a tire.

Go with batch fire mpfi controlled by megasquirt. It can also easily be programmed as a fuel adder and ignition retarder for those serious about power.