24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 95 Land Rover

17 70.83%
  • 83 Wagoneer

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Waggy or Rover

Waggy or Rover

Alright just wanted to get some input on this. Im debating whether or not to sell the rover and work on the jeep (83 waggy) or just keep my car and slowly build it up.

Pros of selling the rover:
    1. easy to find parts for jeep
    2. easier to work with the jeep
    3. parts are cheaper

Cons:
    1. less functional as a daily driver
    2. will take a lot of work and time

Specs on the waggy:
    44 front
    20 rear
    amc 360 in need of a tune
    np208
    and lots of rust.

Option 1- Wagoneer.
    more than likely just go with a soa setup with highsteer, mildly build up the axles, beef up the engine and trans, re-do interior, paint job.

Option 2- Discovery
    cut the fenders (flares), build up axles (finding parts could be a ***** and expensive), maybe do some stuff to the engine and trans (neither seem very strong)

so far i have had a good experiance with the disco but if i build it up and get more aggressive off road, stuff will break, and parts for the damn thing are through the roof, thats the only concern i have with keeping it.

comments are welcome, keep in mind both will still be daily drivers.

I vote waggy, but I am slightly biased. For one, I think waggys are ****ing pimp mobiles in disguise, second, the reason you listed about parts.

And while a full size may hinder you somewhat, there's a lot more wheeling opportunities to be had with a jeep than a disco.

theyre both fullsize i guess, but the jeep still only has a 108" wheelbase (or somewhere close to that, cant remember exactly) so its not too big, just has a bit of overhang but that could be fixed. I have no idea what the wheelbase is on the rover either but it also has overhang which liked to scrape on the rocks at tcc

I think the daily driver part is the deal breaker on the wagoneer.

vehicles made in the 80's suck. Rover interiors aren't the best, but its a hell of a lot nicer than what was acceptable in 83. Not to mention the lack of overdrive and I'll never daily drive something with a carberator again.

You've already got possibly the best year disco ever made since it has CDL and its not OBD2.

I think waggies are good for parts. The rover is pimp.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

But the rover probably gets worse fuel mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    I think waggies are good for parts.
    Much like a scout, except the waggy has more and better good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    And while a full size may hinder you somewhat, there's a lot more wheeling opportunities to be had with a jeep than a disco.
    a wagoneer has to be the worst "built for trail" vehicle that jeep built.

A disco is only a 100" WB. Has way better breakover, ground clearance, has a real frame that allows you to still open the doors after a days wheeling, already has a gear driven crawler box w/ stock 3.32:1 low range, the ZF 4 speed tranny goes forever. It's the little things that make a rover more capable out of the box and would only take a little more to make it better. Why is that rover is the only manufacturer that thinks to put the shock mounts up and out of the way instead of hanging them on the bottom of the axle? Coil springs...remember all the rave when the Grand Cherokee came out with their coil spring suspension w/ their cheap links that snapped at the axles. They were only 23 years behind the curve. Early 90's FJs are a total reverse engineering of the rover, their radius arms look like a direct replacement for a rover.
    You can't knock Rover's 4 wheel disc brakes w/ 4 piston calipers on the front, full floating axles front and rear, drive shaft mounted E-brake that can lock all four wheels.
    How long has this technology been around? Oh, about 35 years.

Yeah, the axles have a lot to be desired but you can remedy that.
    The stock suspension on a disco works better than most jeeps with lift kits. Coils in the front w/ REAL radius arms, and a three link in the rear(stock)
    You can change the centers out w/ V-6 Toyotas if you want to keep the housings and upgrade to 31 spline shafts and longfields.

Is the dana 44 pass drop? throw that under it and build a three link. find a dana 60 from a van (off-set pass side).

Parts aren't expensive..you just gotta quit buying the parts from the dealer or Atlantic British or God forbid, Rovers North. Most of the problem spots w/ the engine can be modified or upgraded w/ brand X parts (there aren't many)...hell, the engine is derived from a late 60's buick skylark powerplant..it doesn't use any kind of flux capacitor that I'm aware of.
    Everyone has this dogma that since it is a Land Rover you can't modify it w/o big bucks...stay tuned to see what you can do w/ cheap parts and a sawzall.
    I say sell the rover and build the jeep b/c I wanna be the lone rover in the club...and Flem yours doesn't count.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 04-03-2006 at 09:32 PM.

gayson, those are the only 3 places I know of to buy parts. Where do you go for gaskets and stuff?

wagoneers have real frames too, I think you are confusing them with cherokees.

and I've got the offroad blue bushings, so mines built for the trail asswipe
    Last edited by robertf03; 04-03-2006 at 09:30 PM.

lots of good info there. unfortunately the 44 isnt pass drop. The only fender kit i could find was 650-700 bucks... too much for plastic, but it will fit 34-35's. Will d2 fenders allow for bigger tires (preferably 33-34") or are there any other fenders for cheaper? I dont really wanna just go at it with a saw without anything to finish the cuts, especially the back where the door has to be cut significantly. Gas mileage sucks on both, about 10-12 with mine and no clue with that 360.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    gayson, those are the only 3 places I know of to buy parts. Where do you go for gaskets and stuff?

wagoneers have real frames too, I think you are confusing them with cherokees.

and I've got the offroad blue bushings, so mines built for the trail asswipe
    No, I mean frames that don't flex, crack, or turn into pretzels unless you add 500 lbs of pig iron.....I got pig iron, pig iron, I fooled you, pig iron, Rock Island Line!!!! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEWWWW! Pig Iron!

I use local sources, Rock Auto, British Pacific, E-bay, Junk Yards, some gaskets you need to get at the dealer....British Pacific has some good deals and stocks All-makes parts....engine parts I just go to the local machine shop and ask for parts for a 3.5L Buick, Fuel pumps, and other electrical you can sub in w/ brand X at you local Vatozone.
    I bough a set of lifters for my truck for $32 for the set at a local machine shop...the dealer wants $16.95 each. I got my crower cam for $150.. I think the rover replacement is over $400

Quote Originally Posted by 95discovery
    lots of good info there. unfortunately the 44 isnt pass drop. The only fender kit i could find was 650-700 bucks... too much for plastic, but it will fit 34-35's. Will d2 fenders allow for bigger tires (preferably 33-34") or are there any other fenders for cheaper? I dont really wanna just go at it with a saw without anything to finish the cuts, especially the back where the door has to be cut significantly. Gas mileage sucks on both, about 10-12 with mine and no clue with that 360.
    you can make disco II flares work. for $650 you could probably hack the wells and have a Custom Body shop finnish them off. Those flare that give the filler for the rear doors do not flex-they are fiberglass, so I would not use them IMO. Have you thought about moving the rear axle back?

yea i thought about moving the axle back but figured that was much more work then flares, what all is involved with moving it back? just new coil and shock mounts, lengthen or move the 3-link back, longer driveshaft?

True Hollywood Stry
    waggy is the easiest, and i am slighlty biased since i have one that i have beat the unholy hell out of at the ranch, but a rover on 35's would be freaking pimp, ive seen one on 35's, and one on 38's and they looked awesome. i say rover even thought it will be harder and more expensive to build, but i like unique rigs thats arent just arent bolt on jeep add ons.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!