Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trailers

trailers

a few of you have seen my little trailer I use to haul the buggy around on. It doesn't belong to me right now, but my dad mentioned he may buy it in the next week or so from our friend who let me use it. It works pretty well for us, but the one thing I don't like is the fact its fairly narrow (I think less than 76 inches inside). Would it be possible to make it wider somehow? And how would you suggest doing it? Its a 12 ft low boy with angle iron rails. Could it be converted to a flat deck, or will it not be strong enough without the rails?

And before anyone says to just buy a bigger trailer, I've been pushing for that, but he thinks he can get a really good deal on this one, so I'm just weighing my options here.

Why do you need the trailer if you're getting rid of the buggy and taco?

uh, to haul **** Just because the buggy is up for sale doesn't mean I won't wheel it given the chance. And I may not sell it at all if someone doesn't give me what I want for it and I can get rid of the tacoma first. Believe me, even though I may act like it on here, I don't want to give up the buggy. But something has to go, the buggy or the tacoma. The big problem with me giving up just the tacoma was I had no tow rig, and what good was the buggy to me then? Well my dad called me yesterday and asked me what his tacoma was worth, and how big of truck he would need to pull 5th wheel camper, so I may be getting a new tow rig in a more round about way
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 04-07-2006 at 09:15 AM.

and before anyone asks why I need more width on a trailer, its so I know I can still fit the buggy on there if I decide to go wider, be it by modifying my toy axles with parts I have, or if I step up to 1 tons (I may have a set of rebuilt ones with some goodies lined up for trade for my current toy stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    a few of you have seen my little trailer I use to haul the buggy around on. It doesn't belong to me right now, but my dad mentioned he may buy it in the next week or so from our friend who let me use it. It works pretty well for us, but the one thing I don't like is the fact its fairly narrow (I think less than 76 inches inside). Would it be possible to make it wider somehow? And how would you suggest doing it? Its a 12 ft low boy with angle iron rails. Could it be converted to a flat deck, or will it not be strong enough without the rails?

And before anyone says to just buy a bigger trailer, I've been pushing for that, but he thinks he can get a really good deal on this one, so I'm just weighing my options here.
    I guess it depends on the width of the axle/tires. I know our utility trailer is like 83" and my blazer squeezes on. The spacing from rim to the side of the trailer is probalby an inch or so and the tires actually rub and squish in probably an inch.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

thats kinda what I figured. I think I'm going to push him to find something a little bigger.

BTW, what kinda backspacing do you have on those wheels doug?

what about buying some differently bs'ed wheels and some roller tires, 1 to keep the cog lower on the buggy while in tow, and to let it fit on a narrow trailer (like some dually wheels or something with insane backspacing)

the biggest problem is where to put the 40's. They take up alot of room

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    what about buying some differently bs'ed wheels and some roller tires, 1 to keep the cog lower on the buggy while in tow, and to let it fit on a narrow trailer (like some dually wheels or something with insane backspacing)
    Mike used to do that and it sucked. It works if you have no better options, and for a run like katemcy it wouldn't be bad.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

the biggest problem is where to put the 40's. They take up alot of room

just a suggestion

no room to slide them under the buggy?

thats kinda what I figured. I think I'm going to push him to find something a little bigger.

BTW, what kinda backspacing do you have on those wheels doug?
    don't remember, come measure!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    just a suggestion

no room to slide them under the buggy?
    nope, not enough room. Those tires take up alot of room when laid on thier side. And how exactly would I get them under the buggy in the first place is what I can't figure out. I could probably slide one from each side under the rocker panels, but that still leaves 2 more if I don't take my spare. Plus it would be a major PITA to swap them out each time.

I've even thought about building a small, dedicated trailer like this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443747 if I was positive I was keeping the buggy. It be nice because I could keep it here in town with me, and I could use the hollow areas between the rails to build some mounts to hold my fullsize spare, as well as two propane tanks. Plus the fact that its lightweight would be really nice.

But in the long run that would most likely be way to expensive, and I don't know if the single axle, no suspension is a good idea or will tow safely

Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

hmmm..
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    This sucks, I am going to be the mack daddy of craigslist cheap deals when I get home for good, a guy could make a killing. All you would need is a small paint booth, and a good welder and you could fix most anything. Good luck to everyone on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.