Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Renegade Project

Yes to Joseph. Yes to Nick, twice.

I probably made 20 runs with 32" Michelin MTX tires. They're crapier than BFG ATs. I later went to just 33" Swampers. That think went just about anywhere I cared to go. All I had was a 3" body lift. I was locked F&R though. I bought front half shaft and sold it with a second broken one, but they're really cheap in the grand scheme of things. I never broke the rear and was always able to drive home. I probably had 30+ outings on that 4Runner. On the other hand, it took me 3 years and upwards of $9k to build my Cruiser, and it's really not even done yet. If it were me (and I was in a college student tax bracket), I would put 33s on it, lock it as cheaply as possible, maybe add a cheap 8.8 just for added insurance on the rear, and wheel it until you wear those tires down to baldies. You'll have a lot more memories from that than months of looking at a project sucking it up in your garage.
    Last edited by davido; 04-18-2006 at 11:38 PM.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

second
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    everyone knows its an 85... thats when the movie came out
    "check out the new line of toyotas"

eric has the same truck
    ... i just try to make mine look like it

wasnt that truck in part 2 it came out in 89 and 3 was in 90

Renegade
    Thread oficially hijacked.

another point is to pay cash for everything you do, don't do it on credit cause you will get yourself into debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Renegade
    Im all about the cash man. Dont have a single debt in my name and I plan to keep it that way. Keeping it simple is probably the way to go but its just so easy to dream.... Ill start tinkering this summer and see how far i gat.

power wagon axles would go well under that renegade

I wheeled the scrambler for a year or so on 33s that were 30" tall new. I ran 2 or 3 trips before welding the rear end then another 4 or 5 like that. Then figured out it'd be cheaper to swap in fullwidths than to regear the axles. The thing was almost allways driveable untill the past few months.

Will you be trailering this thing to the trail or do you want to drive it?

Do you have a budget? Jeeps, especially YJs, can be built very capable for not alot of money. I just added up what I listed up top and it comes to about $3000. But it could be done in pieces.

A front locker will run about $250 and will greatly increase offroad performance. Lots of people like to do tires and lift first but I think you're really much better off with the locker since you allready have decent tires.

Renegade
    I do want to drive it to the trail, and im not riping apart my power wagon to build up my jeep. The budget is kinda up in the air. I am pretty good with tools and cars but ive never done anything as involved as tearing apart the undersides of my jeep and splicing in new parts. The tires I have are 31's i would want at least 33's before trying anything too extreme. Living in galveston means getting help from you guys who know what your doing is a little tough.

chevsu
    is this jeep ever in nastysota? i saw one that looked pretty much the same in town yesterdsay.

Renegade
    My jeep is in dallas in the garage with a busted fuel pump but congrats! I love my renegade so I am always keeping my eye out for them. In the past three years I have only seen four. There were only six or seven thousand made from 91-93. Im guessing that maby half of those are still on the road

I wheeled mine once or twice stock and it was fun. I wish I had pictures Next step was lockers and p/s and it was a world of difference. Its fun to wheel it and then change one little thing like lockers or gears and see how much different it is. It will also give you time to get a feel for the jeep and off road and also allow your bank account time to try to recover.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Ben97XJ
    Here is a buildup of the exact same jeep.
    Link

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben97XJ
    Here is a buildup of the exact same jeep.
    Link
    did you not read the thread? he doesnt wanna get rid of the body thats what makes it unique.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Ben97XJ
    Ya but it still has plenty of ideas.