Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: gas prices

Renegade
    I think he is talking specifically about the VW

Shaggy
    doesnt he work for ford development or somthing like that?

We have one in a test cell right now. We just took one out of the test cell before this one. It was by far the most unreliable engine we have. Perhaps you should unload your VW bias for a second and disregard racing engines that are made to much higher standards that production models and read the reviews on the VW TDI. The only reason people buy them is that they get good mileage and people who haven't done their research don't look past that.

We have more International engines that anything else, but we also work with pretty much every other manufacturer. My group alone has a Volvo, Cummins, 3 Cats, a Pugeot and a VW.

And what does driving a PSD have to do with anything Ryan? Isn't it your family who has owned about 10 of them with tons of problems yet y'all KEEP BUYING THEM? This is my first experience with one and it has 212,000 miles and still doesn't burn oil. It has left me stranded twice. Once for a bad alternator (shouldn't have gone to the dentist...should have gone to the parts store but I let it idle the entire time so I wouldn't have to jumpstart it. died 100 yds from store) and once for the camshaft timing gear endplay become too great and breaking the CPS. That required pulling the engine but I am only the 3rd person I found on TDS that had that problem. I was able to limp home even on that one, but had to have it towed back to work.

I don't care about all your stories of 300k miles. I didn't say it was the most reliable vehicle on the road, but how many 200k+ mile vehicles do you see on the road every day?

Humble yourselves before the mighty 6.2L diesel.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

and the venerable 22re and the sbc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    but how many 200k+ mile vehicles do you see on the road every day?
    Apparently more than you think. If they don't get wrecked, and people don't overheat them or run them out of oil, nearly all vehicles built in the past 20 years will pass up 200k.

My youngest little brother's 99 blew a glow plug through the valve cover a few months ago, and it would die out when the blinker was used, but quit doing that.

Alternator, camshaft gear, cps, flywheel. Anything you're forgetting?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    I didn't say it was the most reliable vehicle on the road, but how many 200k+ mile vehicles do you see on the road every day?
    Probably every big rig I see
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    and the venerable 22re and the sbc
    No, just the 6.2.

On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Shaggy
    my suburban, isuzu, 4 crew cab chevys, 2 lexus, and about to hit it with a 626... all i could think of off the top of my head... 200k is easy with now... just dont wreck em

I knew I'd get a bunch of I got this many I got that many mile responses. I don't give a ****. If you say the PSD is an unreliable engine then I'll defend the PSD. I won't say that it is the ONLY engine out there that will get 200k miles.

Anyway,

Timing gear pressed back on to spec but I replaced the following that weren't bad: fuel, water and vacuum pumps.

Alternator and a/c compressor, starter, evaporator, rear brakes, valve cover gaskets, glow plugs, glow plug relay, intake boots, 1 CPS have been changed.

I don't really consider the flywheel....Changed clutch at flywheel time although it was also fine at 145k miles.

Fixing to change headlights, battery cables and x-fer case seal. These are things I expect to have to do on an 11 year old 212k mile vehicle.

The only thing you can really knock the truck for is that I had to pull the engine. It was a minor problem but it took pulling it to be able to get the camshaft out. Could have been avoided with a snap ring or something in front of the cam timing wheel, but oh well. It was a good time to clean the engine up and paint it Ford blue.

Let's throw a before in there:

Last edited by Chadnutz; 04-25-2006 at 02:42 PM.

should've painted it red
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Red is good. All the technicians said I should have paited it orange. ew

Cummins engines come in painted red.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    If the motor has to be pulled from the engine bay, you automatically forfeit your mileage bragging rights and reliability claims.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

stinger7401
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    If the motor has to be pulled from the engine bay, you automatically forfeit your mileage bragging rights and reliability claims.

297,000 on z71 and still ticking, about to drive it back to Texas and doesn't have near the oil on it that the PSD does in that pic above.......just felt i had to put my .02 in..

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo
    That's fine. I'll keep driving it for <$100 month maintenence for the next 200k and be perfectly happy even though I'm not allowed to brag about it.