Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how much do you drive?

how much do you drive?

Always listening to everyone talk about gas mileage got me to wondering just how many miles people like us drive on average. I know I'm at the lower end of the spectrum, but where does everyone else sit?

For example, in one year I've put 8000 miles on my tacoma, 5000 of which would be driving around town, and out to my parents, with the other 3000 being long range trips. I ride the bus to school, which really helps as well. When I had my chevy, I bet I didn't put close to that many miles on it, even when I dated a girl in austin and was making weekly trips up there

dont know about how many miles exactly, but i drive back and forth from here to blinn 3+times a week (more than once in a day between classes), various errands, and i go home every other weekend or so to work on stuff. So ill burn almost a whole tank of gas, 20 or so gallons, in a week (AWD=10mpg=owned)

you live on campus? Curious why you don't ride the bus out to blinn?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    you live on campus? Curious why you don't ride the bus out to blinn?

shh

in other words i dont know, i just like driving.

i've put about 6000 on my truck in 4 months

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

I drive, on average, 300 miles a week, but then again, I'm working right now so I'm not a typical student.

i would say that i drive bout 12000 miles in a year living up here
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

Quote Originally Posted by 95discovery
    shh

in other words i dont know, i just like driving.
    I used to be like that. I've lived on bus routes most of my time up here, and never used them. One of the stops was like 30 ft from my apartment door, yet I drove. Finally one semester a friend borrowed my truck and didn't have it back in time, so I was forced to try to catch the bus. Since then I've never driven to campus again, unless it was under special circumstances. Its just so much easier to ride. No traffic to fight, I can sleep or study on the way, no fighting for a parking spot (I used to park in zachary when they oversold the number of parking permits every semester), and the bus normally drops closer to my classes than the parking lot was. Now if they could only solve the waiting time problem I would be set. My old bus route had a bus running every 10-15 minutes, but the current one its more like every half hour

Give us a little bit of a break down, so we can see where those miles come from. Do you work, go home alot, commute to school, etc.

I finally made it 3 months before I hit 3000 miles (on an oil change) recently, so I guess that means I normally drive over 12000 a year, but a great majority of that is running out to Mississippi. I ride my bike or the bus to school, at first because I was too cheap to get a parking pass and now because morning traffic is stressful and I really enjoy riding my bike to school, so I tend to only get in the car 3 or 4 times during the week and that is almost always to drive less than 20 miles. Put in a few more miles on a typical weekend, maybe 100-150?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

8-10 miles per day. I rarely go anywhere on the weekends, except when someone is in town. Almost all of the miles on my truck can be attributed to 1-1/2 trips to htown and back and to clayton and back. I have 14k and I bought it in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

~200 miles a week to work, another 20-30ish on the weekends, unless it is a road trip weekend, then who knows. A few weekends ago I made a Dallas-Austin-College Station-Dallas trip. So commuting alone is ~10k miles, Another 1500 for normal weekends, at least 5-6 trips to college station,~400 miles, 2400 miles, I would say easily 15k miles in a year. That's $1500 a year in gas at $3 a gallon, that is bull****.

I'll tell you why I don't ride busses or whatever, even when it was convenient. Public transportation sucks. Get a motorcyle.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I used to think public transportation sucked, but it turns out I live near a bunch of sorority houses so the scenery's not so bad, even though I get dumber overhearing some people's phone conversations.
    Public transportation can be relaxing and convenient once you figure it out. Go hang out in San Jose, Costa Rica if you think it would be great if everybody was on a motorcycle
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I used to think public transportation sucked, but it turns out I live near a bunch of sorority houses so the scenery's not so bad, even though I get dumber overhearing some people's phone conversations.
    Public transportation can be relaxing and convenient once you figure it out. Go hang out in San Jose, Costa Rica if you think it would be great if everybody was on a motorcycle
    There are people who live here and ride the train or bus into NYC everyday. I would shoot myself if I had to do this everyday.

I want to get a street bike, but its scary enough around here in a car. New Jersey Drivers + a round-about = Loop of Death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Lots of people park at the Kingwood park and ride and pimp the bus downtown an hour each way. They listen to music, read the paper, read a book...better than sitting in 59 traffic for an hour
    Last edited by uglyota; 04-21-2006 at 12:31 PM.