Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Krew Kab Klogger

i second the 3 link with a panhard/trackbar

super simple to build and seems to work very well
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Appears you are recreating my suspension.

What you are creating is basically a swingarm. As you know, swingarms don't flex. You must use some soft bushings to allow for it. I would stay away from poly for these.

On mine I had to go with the top link roughly half way down the lower for clearance with the frame.

Good idea on the bend in them, I think you will need it since your frame is wider than mine. Mine rub just a bit, but it's at about the same point the u-joints would start to bind.

Leaf springs are for suckers.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    With the bind that setup will see and the weight it's going to have to hold up, the bushings are going to catch pure D Hell like kolpecker said. I think the 3link will serve you better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    So, Dana 60, I want to do coil springs. I am thinking of a "radius like" arm on each side. The arm would have a bend to allow for tire clearance. The arm would be mounted to the frame side by like a 1" heim and mounted to the axle by 2 bushings on each side (similar to a track bar). Then a track bar to hold it left to right. Very similar to 78/79 Ford Broncos, but with heims. I was going to make the arms out of 1-3/4 - .250 wall. I made this KAD drawing to illustrate the idea. Thoughts? Why won't it work or what would work better?
    Do this, but only use one attachment point on the axle on one side, making it behave like a "wristed" radius arm. I did this on the Scout and really liked it.

Bending the arms as you have illustrated is a good idea, I had significant tire rubbing.

True Hollywood Stry
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 05-14-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    im wet
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    You piss your pants again???
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Thats a pretty good deal, fuel injected 460, Dana 60 w/ locker all for 3k. Of course you have to wonder why the tranny and t-case are not in it....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

It's time to have the WTF am I doing conversation, so let's have it. Please read below and comment. I am not looking to get into a Ford vs Chevy drivetrain debate, just trying to figure out my next steps and think some stuff through. When I built the Klogger I made a booze cruising, very low budget, people transportation device. I would not call it an off road rig. For the past 5 years I have wheeled it with only about $1000 in it (truck was free, cab wad free, lift was $150, FI engine was $300, Tires $400, I have put some other stuff in it, but pretty low budget, recently I have put a manual in and a doubler, but for a good 4 years I only had about $1000 in it). I think it has served it's purpose, We all had fun, it transported people and I learned a lot about off roading, etc... Now I have quite a few higher dollar parts that I have not installed and am debating weather to polish the tird further. Here is what the Klogger currently has:

* Good running 351 V8 with Ford Fuel injection (new timing chain, water pump, 140 amp alternator upgrade, upgraded saginaw power steering pump)
    * NP 435 with new clutch, hydraulic clutch setup
    * Offroad Design 203/205 Doubler (4:1)
    * Twin Traction Beam Front Axle - Best axle ever
    * Sterling 10.25 rear, good brakes, 3.55 gears
    * Roll Cage, not the world's best, but better than nothing

I have the following parts I was going to put in it:

* Dana 60 - have 35 spline outers, wheel flanges, drop in locker, 5.13 gears, hydro assist steering, essentially when built an axle worth close to $2000
    * 5.13 gears for the Sterling
    * New rear leaf springs
    * Chevy 52" leaf springs for the front
    * 42" TSL's on Trail Ready bead locks

My plans were to put all this together and have a locked front and rear full size on 42" tires. This would be the easiest route, but I am debating weather to move forward on this plan for the following reasons:

* A stock F-150 reg cab weighs 3900 lbs, a crew cab tips in at about 6000 lbs, say the difference in a 150 and 250 frame is 1000 lbs and the other 1000 lbs is the body. I essentially would have a locked full size tipping in at 5000 lbs, or a ton more than a jeep. This makes hill climbs suck, breaks more axles, etc...
    * It's a f'in full size crew cab, even with great axles, gears, tires, etc.... I would be pumping a bunch of good parts and money into a vehicle that will never be the most capable off road rig.
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

So my options:

Option 1 - Remove the crew cab body, scrap the cage and build a new one:
    ADVANTAGES
    *About 1000 lbs less weight
    *Easy to do, most everything would just bolt up since the truck was originally a reg cab
    *Not as large as the crew cab
    DISADVANTAGES
    *Still on the heavy side compared to Jeeps
    *Still wheeling Full width

Option 1.5 - Full size Bronco Body, not really an option to me because it would still be full size/huge and weigh 5000 lbs.

Option 2 - Ford Explorer with V8
    *V8 already installed, so no bastardization there, it bolts up to my existing NP435 and doubler
    *Narrower than a full size
    DISADVANTAGES
    *The things weight 4000 lbs, Holy crap an explorer weighs more than an F-150
    *Would have to cut the ass end of the explorer off and still wheeling a pretty big vehicle
    *Running Explorer buy in price is $1000

Option 3 - Ford Bronco II
    ADVANTAGES
    * Weighs only 3300 lbs, just a little more than a CJ, about equal to a cherokee
    *Narrow body, yet a 32" wide frame. A F-150 has a 33" wide frame, somehow a small bronco ii has only an inch narrower frame, this way things like a NP205 will fit, this is not the case for early Bronco's
    *If you outboard the spring hangers, it fits current F-150 axle width's for purches
    *Cheap, there is one with no motor or trans on the list for $200
    DISADVANTAGE
    *Fitting a 302 in one of these is hard, Fitting a 351 sucks and requires 3" of body lift or a lot of work
    *Owning a Bronco II

Option 4 - Jeep-dom - Lets just say other narrow rigs, Jeeps, Scouts, etc...
    ADVANTAGE
    *Narrow
    *Light Weight
    *I hate Jeeps, so when I ram something I will not be sad
    DISADVANTAGE
    *Motor mounts, wiring, etc... a lot of work
    *Owning a jeep
    *High entry price, somehow people still want $2000 for a rusted pile of dog crap

Option 5 - The Unicorn - Find someone who has a buggy set up for a Ford engine and axles, but with no engine, trans or axles, and rape them on the price
    ADVANTAGE
    *Light weight
    *Most capable
    DISADVANTAGE
    *Like finding a unicorn, and once you did, it would probablt be expensive.
    Last edited by KrazyKarl02; 12-22-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Define "good running".

You sure an extra two doors and some sheet metal adds 2100 lbs?

I essentially would have a locked full size tipping in at 5000 lbs, or a ton more than a jeep. This makes hill climbs suck, breaks more axles, etc...
    To use everyone else's example...JB's rig can't weigh much less and his does great.

Do you have an alternative rig in mind? Or are you just figuring whether to proceed with the Klogger or start looking for an alternative?

edit: guess I didn't read the next post.

The primary reason I started taking apart the cruiser was I went back to school and didn't have any money. The reason I took it further and it is the way it is now is I got tired of all the janky stuff I had done before. If this is where you are starting over may be a good idea. You've got a lot of good parts laying around and would just need a good chassis.
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 12-22-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    BDR

Good running - it started every time this weekend, when I pushed the go pedal, it went. The idle was ridiculously high, but I am pretty sure I can fix that.

JB's rig is the exception to the rule, and even so he frequently breaks axle shafts, etc... Additionally it will always be wide and heavy, therefore at somewhat of a disadvantage.

I am not saying I will not stick with the Klogger, just thinking it is time to evaluate it before moving forward. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I have a Ford doubler and a ford (driver's drop) Dana 60, this means I am pretty well locked into a blue oval for motor/drivetrain. If I had a SBC and chevy t-case I think my options would be a lot more, since chevy drivetrain swaps are more common.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I would search for that unicorn 4-seater chassis with room for a cooler in the back.

All of that glass and sheet metal just seems to get in the way! All of your passengers can take the rain and cold just fine, who needs a roof and doors.

Super light weight, great visability, will go anywhere - less chance of breaking, room for a future kiddo and safe for them too...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I believe Garrett is doing this same thing (also with Ford crap...). He got wise - even with a capabale narrow EB
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol View Post
    Super light weight, great visability, will go anywhere - less chance of breaking, room for a future kiddo and safe for them too...
    Whats not safe about seatbelts that dont work and doors that randomly fly open at high speed?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"