Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Registration

Vehicle Registration

all the smog laws and such around the big cities got me thinking. what would be the problem with keeping it registered back home and getting it inspected there?

theoretically lets say i move to houston and get a 2000 honda civic and swap in a slobbering carbed 440. could i do this to keep it street legal?

how do they check your residence. i just registered the scout in MP and the toyota in BCS this week.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I have never had to get one inspected in one of the "smog" counties, but I would think that they will not inspect it with out the extra test. Your best bet is to take it back to the county of registration and have them do it there. Almost everyone goes home once a year to see mom and pop, so just make that part of the trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Shaggy
    as long as you dont have the vehicle registered in the smog city... keep it registered in bcs or somewhere without smog testing

I think it goes off your insurance address since you have to have this for inspection. I know Fred used to avoid the sniffer on the camaro by getting it inspected at Dixie Tire Inspection Division (R.I.P.) I always got the Scout passed there too, but now she is an antique, so I don't have to worry anymore. I don't think Dixie was supposed to touch anything from Collin County since it is a known smog county, but that is why I loved that damn place, they had their own agenda, and it included getting your $12.50! Does your registration sticker even say what county you're from? I don't think so, but I've been wrong once before.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

nevermind, the registration sticker does say what county.
    Boats and hoes

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    I think it goes off your insurance address since you have to have this for inspection. I know Fred used to avoid the sniffer on the camaro by getting it inspected at Dixie Tire Inspection Division (R.I.P.) I always got the Scout passed there too, but now she is an antique, so I don't have to worry anymore. I don't think Dixie was supposed to touch anything from Collin County since it is a known smog county, but that is why I loved that damn place, they had their own agenda, and it included getting your $12.50! Does your registration sticker even say what county you're from? I don't think so, but I've been wrong once before.
    Samantha's car was inspected in College Station, eventhough it was registered in Houston, all she had to do was sign a waiver or some shat. But they may have been pre-emissions, and I'm not sure if she lived in Montgomery county which is a non-emissions county, i think.

Also, I thought the emissions county stickers were a different color?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

I still say they check your residence off your insurance since you have to have that to get anything done. That or your DL since it is technically illegal to have your old address on your license a month or so after you move.
    Boats and hoes

I had to sign that waiver the first time I had my car inspected here, and never afterwards. Registered and insured in Harris County (smog) until a year or so ago. You don't have to sign shiat. they would like you to be inspected in the same county, but a Texas registration is a Texas registration. Just find a little redneck inspection place in a non-smog county that you happen to be traveling through and you're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    I had to sign that waiver the first time I had my car inspected here, and never afterwards. Registered and insured in Harris County (smog) until a year or so ago. You don't have to sign shiat. they would like you to be inspected in the same county, but a Texas registration is a Texas registration. Just find a little redneck inspection place in a non-smog county that you happen to be traveling through and you're good to go.
    I'm pretty sure they are more strict about it in counties contiguous to smog counties. Like montgomery to harris county.
    So you loose, I win!

so you get inspected in a non-contiguous one
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    so you get inspected in a non-contiguous one
    thank you captain obvious
    So you loose, I win!

just doing my part

So Jimmy, tell me about this antique vehicle stuff and why I should or should not do it to jeep.

I don't have it registered as an antique, it's just more than 25 years old so I don't have to do smog BS anymore. I looke into getting it set up that way, but I figured it was just something else for police to hassle me over, but theoretically it would work.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/sppla...ate.htm?nbr=70

No inspection required, and I figured if I got pulled over on the way to work I would just tell them I was getting my oil changed on my lunch hour.
    Boats and hoes

Just get it inspected back home, in CS, where-ever. I've been getting my truck inspected where I go to school, be it Brenham or BCS, since I've had it. My insurance has my address as Houston right on the front, and the inspection stations never bat an eye. I would keep it registered back home also. My insurance said if the truck is registered in Houston they assume that I spend most of my time in Houston and raise the rate.
    BDR