Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydro-Assist Problems

Hydro-Assist Problems

I bought a toy box and tapped it for hydro assist according to directions I found off of pirate. Once I got rid of all the leaks and made sure I had it plumbed correctly I tried it out.

I can def. turn sharper although the ram lags behind, but I noticed that the pump whined a lot, the fluid got really hot and now it doesn't seem as though I had power steering at all.

For those of you that have tapped Toyota boxes, the top tap seems pretty shallow. Is it possible that this port is plugged with the fitting and the fluid is unable to bypass when I'm not turning?

This is the last thing I have to polish off before I can play, and I'd like to get it done.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

feller has a tapped box, im sure he'll respond

I've heard of quite a few guys tapping their boxes and havent run into any problems

maybe. It is pretty shallow on the top. When I tapped mine, the tap barely got any thread engagement before bottoming out, so I would tap a little, grind the tip of the tap off, the tap a little more until I had good thread engagement. I cleaned everything up, then before reassembling, I put a piece of wire in the port (or whatever the tube was I tapped to) then tightened up the fitting just to make sure I didn't close it off like you think you did.

Could it be that your pump is unable to keep up? I drilled out a port on the toyota pump to up the flow, and that seemed to help alot

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    maybe. It is pretty shallow on the top. When I tapped mine, the tap barely got any thread engagement before bottoming out, so I would tap a little, grind the tip of the tap off, the tap a little more until I had good thread engagement. I cleaned everything up, then before reassembling, I put a piece of wire in the port (or whatever the tube was I tapped to) then tightened up the fitting just to make sure I didn't close it off like you think you did.

Could it be that your pump is unable to keep up? I drilled out a port on the toyota pump to up the flow, and that seemed to help alot
    there are different kind of taps... taper, plug, etc...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

yeah, but if you use NPT, which most people using toy boxes do, then you'll most likely have to grind it. I just threw that in more for anyone else who is considering tapping a toy box, like garret

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    yeah, but if you use NPT, which most people using toy boxes do, then you'll most likely have to grind it. I just threw that in more for anyone else who is considering tapping a toy box, like garret
    I don't care how it has to be done since you're going to be doing it anyway

You get me a job yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman

You get me a job yet?
    Am I supposed to be getting you a job? Have you sent a resume?

I pulled mine off and tapped it when the mount broke. When I put it back on I was getting the same thing as you. No power steering and really hot fluid. Guess it was just air in the box as it got better over a week or so.

It will take a while turning the wheel back and forth to get all the air out of the lines. When that happens you will tell the steering will get better.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

Well I guess I'll pick up the front end and continue to bleed it, but it went from OK to harder than before. I hope the pump didn't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    there are different kind of taps... taper, plug, etc...

taper, plug, bottoming, NPT? i think not!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman

You get me a job yet?
    yeah, at this point you may be sitting out in a apartment complexes parking lot tapping it considering I won't have a shop in about a week.

As for the job, get off your but and get it yourself I saw you application floating around, but no one will say anything. Supposedly we're going to hire a bunch of people, so we're fully staffed. Have you tried calling back up there and talking to the manager yet? Thats your best bet.

chris- douche your box

how about the weekend after that one?

damned, did I become mister popular all of a sudden? I had room for 20+ messages this morning, and its full allready?

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    taper, plug, bottoming, NPT? i think not!
    didn't know it was npt weiner
    1988 Blazer...RIP