Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A friends Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    well **** i dont know thats just what ive always been told about the 300, mine was towed behind a mobil home for 9 years for about 8 months out of the year. and always had the d-shaft disconnected.

but it had this neat little lever under the seat that disconnected it for you

isnt there something to do with the oiling properties in the case that ****s them up?

300's are oil slingers. all the same stuff spins while in neutral, the dogs just arent engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    my jeep was painted to match a motorhome
    It sounds like your Grandpa, much like mine, didn't really fall under "most people"
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

sell it, buy a pos jeep and taint it up

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    300's are oil slingers. all the same stuff spins while in neutral, the dogs just arent engaged.
    Nope, note quite right. When the input shaft spins, it will lubricate. But with only the rear output spinning it won't lubricate fully. You can weld tabs to one of the output gears to get it to sling enough oil but without that, you will eventually fry the 300. Towing is limited to 300 miles. Beyond that you have to start the CJ and run the tranny in gear with the t-case in neutural for a few minutes every 300 miles. Or disconnect the rear driveshaft.
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Nope, note quite right. When the input shaft spins, it will lubricate. But with only the rear output spinning it won't lubricate fully. You can weld tabs to one of the output gears to get it to sling enough oil but without that, you will eventually fry the 300. Towing is limited to 300 miles. Beyond that you have to start the CJ and run the tranny in gear with the t-case in neutural for a few minutes every 300 miles. Or disconnect the rear driveshaft.
    actually its 200 miles. i looked it up in my jeep book after i posted that. i dont completely understand why the input has to spin to lubricate. i had mine apart last year and didnt see anything that would indicate that, but then i wasnt too worried about it since i dont flat tow.

well I just had mine apart, I think it is because the input gear drives the idler shaft and w/ it in neutral it doesnt spin the idler shaft therefore not fully lubing everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

doesnt the idler spin when in neutral?

so just leave the engine idling, trans in gear, x-fer in neutral whilst you tow

edit: i just remembered how they work, the dogs are between the input/output and the idler. when towing in neutral you're just spinning the rear output shaft.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 05-05-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Yea mine says to run it every 200 miles, but it also says to leave it in gear and put the sr4 in neutral.

from what i read the d20 should be in gear and trans in neutral. the d300 should be in neutral with the trans in gear.